Found my next project at Turkey Run!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I wasn't even looking for another project but this one was just too nice to pass up. It is a 46 Ford Tudor Sedan body and frame. It is pretty complete and very rust free. Only some minor surface rust and no rust through anywhere on the body. The car came from South Dakota and was last licensed in 1964. Then it was put in a building in 1970 and sat there until recently.

The guy I got it from bought it for some pieces for his 46 convertible and doesn't need the rest. I have been wanting to build a daily driver or maybe just a car that doesn't beat me up on long trips like my T. :D The really weird part is that I bought the complete drivetrain and suspension from Paul (Ratty 46) about a year ago, so I could put those pieces under this one and get it running pretty quick.

Here are some pictures of it at Daytona. The guy is delivering it here tomorrow night.

Don

46fordpictures023.jpg

46fordpictures012.jpg

46fordpictures019.jpg

46fordpictures018.jpg

Thanks. Well, the immediate plan is to push it into a corner and finish up my 27 first. Then I have some thoughts on what I can do to the 46:

1) Put the stock banjo rear, transmission, and front end under it and use an adapter to put a sbc in there.

2) Put a sbc, th350 and late rear in there on parallel springs but keep the dropped front axle and posies spring I have already for it.

3) Put the 394 Olds engine that I have already built with tripower on it in there. I have a Bendtsens adapter to mate it to a th350, so I could put that in with a late rear.

It will all depend on how I end up wanting to use it. If I want a car that I can jump in and head to California with no worries, the sbc and related drivetrain make sense. If I just want an occasional driver the Olds or the sbc with adapter would be ok, I guess.

Don

Yeah Don, They all start out small, don't they?And then they seem to escalate!:D...Good looking sedan, bet you're happy.:D....CR

thats a great looking buy you got there.. im sure you will build it right... you and your son always do

Thanks guys. Yep, I'm very excited to find one in this shape so close to home. Usually they end up in Nebraska or South Dakota or somewhere out west like that. I think it was fate that we were supposed to find this one. For some reason it was still unsold Friday when we came upon it, but the seller told me on Saturday when I went back to take those pictures he had a lot of people interested after the fact. Of course, people always say "Oh I wish I had known about that car, I would have bought it!" :rolleyes:

Now I just have to figure out how to lift that body off of his trailer at the shop tomorrow night. I think a combo of floor jacks and and engine hoist will do it.

Don

sure looks like a nice car for a project....i'm sure it will make a really nice daily driver/long distance cruiser.....[cl

i vote olds powered..:D

Nice score Don. I didn't even see that car there but it's hard to see everything. It's a neat deal that you already have the 46-48 suspension parts that you picked up a while back. It wouldn't take much to install all of that suspension under the car for now to make it easier to store and roll around the shop.

Wow Don that is too cool. I love those cars.[dr Your lucky, if I saw that thing I might have tried to swing a deal with the guy. By the way, check out the Turkeyrun.com web site. There is a rear shot of you and your sons cars.[cl

Thanks guys. And thanks Rod for the heads up on the picture on the TR site. I would have missed it. At least it's proof that we really were there! :D

Well, the 46 showed up tonight and we got it unloaded from the sellers trailer. Took a little doing but our gantry, floor jacks and engine hoist picked it up so he could drive the trailer from under it. I'm still pretty impressed with the overall condition, especially in the hard to fix areas like drip rails and door jams. Coming from South Dakota really helped it stay pretty rust free.

I'm going to shove it into a corner and cover it up so I'm not distracted from my 27 project. I plan to take that one to Billetproof in February so I need to stay focused. Here are some pictures after we got it off the trailer tonight.

Don

46athome001.jpg

46athome002.jpg

46athome003.jpg

46athome004.jpg

Latest posts

Back