Free motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakeido

One of the guys I work with, gave me a 305 chevy. I'm use to playing with 350's and I'm familiar with SBC's. My question is has anybody on here had luck building any power out of these.

There is several things you can do with a 305. Just depends on wether you are trying to build performance out of it or dependability.
Example:
400 crank
5.7 rods
.040 over pistons will give you a 347 stroker and a substantial bill @ the machine shop.

if you build a durable driver out of it you just do a simple overhaul on it and put a mild cam in there that sounds good it would last for another 30 or so years.

No matter what you do, build it the way you want, and then drive it while gas prices are down.

Dang I thought you were giving one away.....you cant excite me like that this late in the evening......GEEEZ:rolleyes:

Sorry rusty. Figured best way to get people to read, and reply. Thanks to everyone who shared their opinion I liking the idea of the 335!!!

I agree you can have some fun with them little engines just remember Cubic in is free HP so boring and stroke will help alot not to say doing that is free but if you have a 305 vs a 350 both being stock the bigger cu. engine will have more HP.

The 400 mains are slightly bigger, so the mains need to be ground down to fit the smaller block .Should be able to buy a 400 stroke crank ready to install, cheaper than having one ground custom.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SCA-910375&autoview=sku
$180 plus shipping.

The 400 crank is typically externally balanced, so you need the 400 flexplate and harmonic balancer.

Not sure if 305 pistons are available to work with the longer stroke.

go a little further

One of the guys I work with, gave me a 305 chevy. I'm use to playing with 350's and I'm familiar with SBC's. My question is has anybody on here had luck building any power out of these.

if you really want to you can go through jegs and get a kit or find an experience person that knows sbc and they can bore and stroke it to a 383.

Latest posts

Back