Freezing in Tx tonight. Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatSalad

If I pull the lower water pump hose (small block chevy), will enuff of the water purge with out worry of the block freezing? Its 20deg. out there and no antifreeze tonight :eek:

I think some water will still remain in the block as it sits lower. Can you put something like a 100 watt light bulb next to the block and let it burn until the temps come up? Usually this is enough to keep the temps up a little.

Don

Thanks, will try that also. Have some work to do and dont want to put antifreeze in it yet

Can you get to the small threaded plugs that are in the center of each side of the block? If you remove those, that would help a lot.

I would either drain the bolck as mentioned or get a spot light or a small heater to keep it from freezing.If the water freezes up in that block it may crack it.I cracked one about 10 years ago and didnt even know till I was driving it on the freeway and it overheated.The crack was so small that the water didnt even run out.It would drip and from the heat on the motor would just turn to steam and was never detected till I put a pressure tester on it.I would go get a cheap gallon of antifreeze and put the whole gallon in there.It is just cheap insurance.Start the motor and get it flowing.That way you wont have any problems down the road.

the water will not come out of the block by taking the lower water hose off. if theres pure water in there it will freeze. and with a small chevy, it WILL CRACK THE BLOCK! i have a good running chevy v-8 sitting on a dolly in my shop with a 6 inch long section of the block wall pushed out over 1/4 of an inch and cracked on top and bottom of the bulge. i got the motor this way last week. if the block plugs wont come out, then you do have other choices. if the motor runs, then put anti freeze in it and run it until the thermostat opens. if it doesnt run and you can put anti freeze in the radiator and put a belt on the pump and stick the belt onto the chuck of a drill and run the drill pulling tension on the belt. this will circulate the water. if you dont have a radiator then fill the motor with anti freeze using the top hose, then use a short piece of pipe to connect the upper and lower hoses together and pump the water with the drill. of course putting a heat source under the motor will prevent cracking but can get expensive. one other heat source that can be used is "heat tape" it can be bought at any hardware store and is intended to wrap around water pipes to keep them from freezing. but of course you can wrap it around the water jackets of your motor too. also make sure theres no draft or breeze on the motor tonight. ive spent the last few days doing the anti freeze thing. making sure one of my own motors doesnt end up like that motor i i just got. can you tell i grew up in cold climates? lol. pete.

Latest posts

Back