Friends on forums.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I understand less about the computer world than I do about women, and that is saying something. :eek: But there is something I would like to ask that I may be not handling correctly.

On some forums people can become your "friends" and I get incoming friend requests some times. I never know what that means, and of course I click the box to accept them, but am I supposed to do something else so I don't snub or offend anyone ? Am I supposed to acknowledge and thank them, or look for messages they might have posted ?

I guess if I did things like Facebook and all the social stuff I would know about this, but I don't. I feel honored that someone would take the time to do that, and I just don't want to look like a jerk to them.

Don

I know even less about computers and forums than you do and can't help with your question...but after reading your posts here and on some of the other forums, I do consider you to be one of my "computer friends". Crazy 'aint it? Bill. :)

My rule is, if you're close enough for me to see occasionally, I accept the friendship, if not, I hit the reject button. Also, if I don't hear from you ocassionaly, I delete the friendship.

I have damn near 2000 friends on Facebook. I actually KNOW maybe 100. The rest are people in the tattoo community or fans of Deadbolt or members of bands that have played with the boys. Why they add me who knows. But I use it mainly as a form of networking. So I guess for me it's a different scenario.
I do tend to deny those where there's no friends in common though...

Like I mentioned, I am flattered that people think enough to want to sign on as a friend, it is just that I don't know if I am supposed to do something back to acknowledge it or what, and I don't want to be rude to them.

I even asked my Son about it and he said he doesn't know what it means or what we are supposed to do either. :confused:

Don

i have to have known you from somewhere. i have two friends on the white meat site, one i have talked to for years on the computer in the ntba site, the other is a brother mason that i have never met but he knows three of my brothers (blood and masonic) and my dad, as well as many of the family friends/brothers. but on most sites i'm on i don't have friends like that, i just talk in the threads. my facebook friends are family, navy buddies, school mates, and hot rod buddies

And for all these years I thought it was something I had said! All those sleepless nights worrying why Don wouldn't be my friend..... :p

Hey Don,
I "think" that I sent you a friend request on another forum. If that's not you, then this other guy certainly seems like a good guy. Bill. :)

YES!!!!!!! I got your request and obviously thank you and clicked on allow. But, being as new world dumb as I am :eek:, what does that feature of the forum do ? I just don't know if I am supposed to monitor it and make sure I am not ignoring PM's or something.

Please tell me all you know about this thing.:)

Don

Sorry, but you're way ahead of me on all this newfangled computer stuff...I am, however, getting pretty good at googling (is that a word?). Your new friend, Bill. :)

Overthinking it Don. People "friend" for different reasons on forums. Some people, its just a cyber way of saying "you are cool". Some people add friends so others think they are popular. I get friend requests on forums usually after I've helped them out of a jam, made parts for them, or just said something they liked a lot.

You dont need to thank them, say hi, or anything else. Its just a name on a screen until you meet them.

I occasionally get that on the HAMB, just seems like their name goes on a list but never really pops up. It's a pretty good way to keep track of guys you met, especially when you have a bad memory like me.
I'm on facebook but don't generally accept new friends, and have actually changed the settings so I don't have to sift through the drivel that some of them feel inclined to post just so I can see pictures of a few people I'm interested in.

Ok, all of that makes sense. Glad I wasn't ignoring people and being rude or anything. :)

Sam, now that the guys have clued me in, I think it means you have to buy ME beer and chips ! :D

Don

Stop by any time Don!

BTW, your hurricane just hit us this morning.

Ouch ! :( For a cat 1 hurricane that thing sure caused a lot of damage. I sure hope all you guys up there are ok.

Hurricanes are weird animals. Gastrick is right across the state from us and they got huge amounts of rain, yet we got almost nothing. :confused: Very odd.

Don

Latest posts

Back