Front axle options

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty38

I want to run a tube front axle. Is it true that I can't run original style bones for the front due to axle not being beam and not flexing? If I run hairpins can I use clevis mounts at the axle or should I run hiems?
First time doing this and appreciate any help in advance guys.

From what I've read you should only run a 4 link with tube front axles, but I'm sure someone with real experience will give you a better answer.

There was a big thread over on the Pork about this. Some say it will be fine with split bones, others said four link only. The ones that said bones were OK said they had ran thousands of miles that way, the four link guys said they had twisted tube axles with bones, so take your pick, who do you believe? [S

There was a big thread over on the Pork about this. Some say it will be fine with split bones, others said four link only. The ones that said bones were OK said they had ran thousands of miles that way, the four link guys said they had twisted tube axles with bones, so take your pick, who do you believe? [S

As Bama said their are alot of opinons on this. This issue I believe comes into play when you SPLIT the wishbones being as how these axles had a wishbone set up from the factory.
The tube axles were used in the lighter V-8 60 equipped cars. And have been coveted by years by the dirt track crowd as well as original style T-bucket builders. They can take some stress and twisting but are no way as durable as their I-beam brothers. I have seen a few of these for sale and most of them have had some sort of bending issues.
I would error on the side of caution and go with a 4 link style setup. Perhaps it's not a case of if it will fail but more of a case of when it will fail.
Just my 2 cents.....
Torchie.

The other option if you have room, run the wishbones unsplit and enjoy the look of the axle, and original wishbone... If you don't have the room I would as Torchie said an d error on the side of caution... but that's me.

Good article indeed Chris.
Interesting to note that one of Fords dealership displays back in the day was a Model T axle that was twisted cold something like 9 times to show their strength.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back