Front brakes for my truck?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBailey

I'm wondering if anyone knows of brakes I can use with the stock axle in my '42 Chevy 1/2 ton and be able to run 14" wheels or will I only be able to run 15's at minimum? The reason I ask is I found a set of cragar ss wheels but there's 2 14x7's and 2 15x10's. Thanks in advance for any help.

Most disc kits are for 11" rotors so the calipers would likely come too close to a 14" wheel. I recall that using one of these kits, the inner bearing races used are Mustang II swapped into GM rotors so it seems possible that the smaller Mustang II rotors could be adapted to your axle, though you'd still need to make caliper brackets. Not aware of anyone that offers such a kit..... Maybe better to hold out for some 15" front Cragars...

look for a brake kit that uses 1978 to 85 10" metric GM brakes, as used on G body cars, Malibu's, Cutlass's, mid size Pontiac's, and Buicks. those cars came standard with 14" wheels with a 5 x 4.75" pattern. from 78-81 they had 7/16" lug bolts, then in 82 went to metric lug bolts and nuts.

We have those brake kits. It comes with the bearing adapters so you don't even have to take the spindles off the axle. It all just bolts together. It has 11" 5 lug rotors. $250.00 plus shipping. It works with the stock GM 14" wheels.

Thanks guys, Ron after reading your post I did a lot of research and turns out 14" wheels should work fine with 11" rotors so long as they wheels have 4" of backspacing or less. Again thanks guys for the help.

Latest posts

Back