front shock mounts question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo

He talks to the tiki gods!
I am at the point where I am going to fabricate the mounts for my front shocks. the question is this, shocks have a compressed length, and a full extended length. what length should they be installed at with the vehicle standing static? also is there an optimum angle at which the shock should be in realation to the axle?

Pablo

The more you lay the shocks over the more the travel is affected. Also the more you lay it over, leverage is increased and a stiff shock will become weaker in compairisn to the same shock straight up . (if that makes any sense)

example
Straight up, max movement, 1 to 1 per the axle movement.
Lay them completely horizontal (just as an extreme example) No movement.

I know you know this.

If you can match the travel of the shock with the travel of your suspension, with a little extra each direction, that would work. but the compression is the most important.

When you jack up the frame, the suspension will most likely hang from the shock. (not always though). This limit is felt when hiting a big dip and the suspension unloads completely.

The max compression should be limited with a rubber bumper, not the shock bottoming out.

Coordinate the two together, the shock travel and the suspension travel.

They do have to look right also, thats personal preference.

That is all I know.
Having seen what you have done already, I bet you have no problem figuring this out.:D

MD,
I'm gonna have to stew on that on for a little while. I'm bout to have to move the shock mounts on my truck.....It is just too early in the morning.....

Makes Sense

The more you lay the shocks over the more the travel is affected. Also the more you lay it over, leverage is increased and a stiff shock will become weaker in compairisn to the same shock straight up . (if that makes any sense)

example
Straight up, max movement, 1 to 1 per the axle movement.
Lay them completely horizontal (just as an extreme example) No movement.

I know you know this.

If you can match the travel of the shock with the travel of your suspension, with a little extra each direction, that would work. but the compression is the most important.

When you jack up the frame, the suspension will most likely hang from the shock. (not always though). This limit is felt when hiting a big dip and the suspension unloads completely.

The max compression should be limited with a rubber bumper, not the shock bottoming out.

Coordinate the two together, the shock travel and the suspension travel.

They do have to look right also, thats personal preference.

That is all I know.
Having seen what you have done already, I bet you have no problem figuring this out.:D

md

Thanks for the info, I kinda figured as much, but it is good to hear it again from another source.

Pablo

there's a couple good books on chassis and suspension design at borders. I haven't picked one up yet but i've browsed through them. $20-$30 and it should help alot I'm sure. Something tells me you only want to do this once if you can. :D

I dont know what sort of setup your running but Ive heard that if you are running a straight front axle with leafs you need to angle the shocks toward the end with the shackle to keep from binding.Theres always lots of straight axle dissusion on the twolaneblacktophomepage. http://groups.msn.com/twolaneblacktophomepage

Latest posts

Back