Front spring question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnout

Does anyone know where I can get a stiffer spring or suggestions for my spring behind speedway front end. I just put a big block in my project and now the frame is about an inch above my cross steer linkage. I called speedway and they do not carry any different spring rates. The spring is a standard eye 26" spring.
thanks
Scott

I have chased my front end all over the place. I moved the front mount up and down several times, and even built a spacer. You could build a spacer to get it where you want it, and then change the mount to the location of the bottom of the spacer.

How many leaves are on yours, 4 or 5? There are both versions out there.

You could try Posies. They sell various versions, some have reversed eyes to drop the car lower, some have a higher arch to put it up more. If you shoot us some pictures of your front end in detail it will maybe show us what is going on. As Bonehead mentioned, it might have more to do with the mounting than the spring itself.

BTW, you can rearch your spring too, if you have a hydraulic press. We did this to the spring on my Son's '29. First of all we drew the profile of the main leaf on the garage floor for reference, then we drew lines on the spring every one inch. Next we put it in the press and put exactly the same number of pumps on the jack handle at each inch increment. (it only takes 2 or 3 pumps to really bend the spring, so be careful) Once we had it reshaped more arched we did the same to the other leaves. When it was bolted back together it sat a couple inches higher. A spring shop can do this for you too.

Don

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, I ended up going to a custom spring shop locally and he added a leaf into my existing spring. Just got it installed and it and the ride height is perfect and front isn't as soft and mushy like it was with the stock speedway spring.

Scott

I contacted speedway befor I bought my Posies super slide from them and explained I would have a 429. They told me it would be ok. I thought it settled a bit too far but never got the car on the road with that engine.

Latest posts

Back