Fuel tank.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBeNormal

Ok so going along with my theme I have found a guy that is going to build me a copper 10 gallon still for my fuel tank to mount in the bed

My question is does anyone see anything Wong with that?

I know you don't see copper much in fuel systems anymore but I do now that they used to use copper fuel lines and such so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Don't know yet I have to call him tomorrow. I'm figuring a 200- 500.

More than I want to spend but if its that cool it will be worth it.

Ethanol corrodes copper, aluminum and other soft metals. If you're stuck with blended fuel, probably a bad idea.

We have a couple places around here I have heard sell non ethanol fuels.

Also about what you said you mentioned aluminum fuel cells are almost all made of aluminum. So it would corrode those also?

Also about what you said you mentioned aluminum fuel cells are almost all made of aluminum. So it would corrode those also?

Yes, but you can get aluminum fuel cells for alcohol. They have a bladder inside so the fuel never makes contact with the metal.

Yep, aluminum fuel cells are all made out of aluminum except the plastic ones [ddd
Just having fun ;)

So how did they make whiskey in copper stills if alcohol eats them up? The process must be pretty slow.

I never made whiskey, so I can't speak to that. I just know that it's corrosive and hard on seats, seals, jets etc, etc. I read someplace that copper reacts with alcohol and creates some kind of crystalline deposits. Probably doesn't matter in the brew, but a double whammy for your carburetor.

Ybe. If you're going to try liner, make sure it's compatible with E85 and the tank is very well prepped. If the liner breaks down, it makes an ugly mess of your system.

. If you're going to try liner, make sure it's compatible with E85 and the tank is very well prepped. If the liner breaks down, it makes an ugly mess of your system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will look into that. I best that would make quite a mess of everything.

Why not use a retired beer keg? Tractor Supply sells cylindrical air tanks with a cap for about $100 that may interest you. A friend of mine uses the air tank deal in his 48 chevy truck and it looks really nice. It's more "low profile" than the beer keg because it's longer than it is wide. If I can grab a pic of his truck tomorrow I'll show you. You might like it a lot.

Why not use a retired beer keg? Tractor Supply sells cylindrical air tanks with a cap for about $100 that may interest you. A friend of mine uses the air tank deal in his 48 chevy truck and it looks really nice. It's more "low profile" than the beer keg because it's longer than it is wide. If I can grab a pic of his truck tomorrow I'll show you. You might like it a lot.

Thanks. I am open to all ideas. Not wanting to go the beer keg route though it just seems like everyone has one of those. Also I am trying to stick with a alcohol theme.

Latest posts

Back