Funny speed shop story.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

We have a local speed shop here in Ft Myers and the guy is an absolute a**. Not a bit friendly, in fact, downright nasty to people. No personality at all.

This week I ordered that cap and rotor from Summit and it was the Mexican one that did not fit right, so I figured this local guy might have one of the original USA made ones in stock, so I called and he did. Dan and I went there Friday morning to get it, and while Dan was paying I mentioned that they were now made in Mexico and the one I got from Summit did not fit right.

He said "Why would you order from Summit? I am right here, don't you know you should support local businesses ??" I thought about it for about a nano second and then I let him know WHY I hate to come to his place and only do it as a last resort.

I said "The reason I don't come here is because you are about the most unfriendly person I have ever met and are downright rude to customers." He said, "the reason I am that way is because I have to answer stupid questions all day !" To that, I responded, "That is your job, and I work retail too, but I always treat my customers nicely and go out of my way to help them !!"

He simply looked down, we took out purchase and left. Darned it, that felt SO good to tell the jerk that he was a jerk. And they wonder why the Summits of the world keep getting our business and growing. THEY know how to treat customers ! :D

Don

We used to have an starter/alt shop like that, knew his business but was the biggest ahole in the world.Hated dealing with him and would as a last resort.

That's awesome! They usually don't get it or do anything about. The hardware store 3 miles from me use to be owned by this older lady. She didn't even have to say anything, the standard look on her face says "i'm the biggest b$tch in the world". One day I was in there had some stuff I had gathered to purchase and asked her about ordering hard wood flooring. She looked me up and down then with a big sigh said " I suppose I could go out of my way to place an order". I looked her in the eye, put the items I had gathered down on the floor in front of her and said ~ " Since it's so much trouble I'll just drive the hour to Home Depot" and walked out the door. We spent over $25k doing the floors and other remodeling that year and I wouldn't even go in the local place to buy a $.30 bolt. She sold the place a couple years later. I ended up working there a couple of years for the new owner. The old owner would come in once in a while, still the same demeanor. I always would walk up to her with the biggest smile I could and talk about what a beautiful day it was. She avoided me after about 4 times of helping her. I think most of these people are happy being miserable.

The sad part is, I would love to be able to buy from this guy, he is 15 minutes from me, has a pretty good inventory, and his prices aren't horrible. But he has been a nasty jerk for the 20 some years I have known about him, and I have to swallow my pride to just walk in there.

This time was the final straw. He thought he would be cute by putting me on the spot for buying from Summit instead of him, so I had to let him know exactly WHY I don't buy more from him. Probably will not make any difference, but it sure felt good ! :D

Most of his business is via mail order, that way people don't know what a nasty SOB they are dealing with. That is how he has survived so long IMO.

Don

The sad part is, I would love to be able to buy from this guy, he is 15 minutes from me, has a pretty good inventory, and his prices aren't horrible. But he has been a nasty jerk for the 20 some years I have known about him, and I have to swallow my pride to just walk in there.

This time was the final straw. He thought he would be cute by putting me on the spot for buying from Summit instead of him, so I had to let him know exactly WHY I don't buy more from him. Probably will not make any difference, but it sure felt good ! :D

Most of his business is via mail order, that way people don't know what a nasty SOB they are dealing with. That is how he has survived so long IMO.

Don
at a bar in durango colorado
one time i went to meet someone
and we had to wait for a long time to get our drinks
the crabby bartender sez
you know why you waited?
you dont tip
i sez
thats because you are a ***** and i dont like you
BTW
i havent set foot in that joint for over 15 years

Well if he can't handle a honest answer he shouldn't of asked for it. That's part of our country's problem, everyone wants everything sugar coated cause they are to much of a nancy to handle the truth.

Good for you Don. I probably would of did the same thing but a long time ago lol

Hey Don, if you make it up for the Turkey Run in Daytona I have a couple of shops here in Orlando that I could use your "services" for :p

Back when I was younger and we had that type of owner here, I'd get so mad the only things I could think of, was cuss words and fighting. Usually in that order :confused:
Since I'm older, I'm able to express myself in the same manner you did Don :cool:

I find most of our local speed shops and vintage car parts shops are one of two ways here. Most have guys that have no idea what they're talking about, and the ones with knowledge and good prices don't seem to give a crap about repeat customers. It's as if their market niche entitles them to be jerks.

I'll keep buying exactly what I need from the states because I keep getting better products and service that way. And right now it's still cheaper, even with our crappy dollar. I saw a $550 set of cast manifolds with a price tag of $950 up here at our local So-Cal store.

I buy everything online.
I don't want to deal with self important jerks
And I save a small fortune.
If mom and pop stores want my money
1 don't be a ********
2 don't expect me to personally pay for that new bass boat you have your eye on.

Haha, as we get older we lose that filter that keeps us from saying something......we just blurt out the first thing that comes to our mind ! :eek::D

As we walked out the door, Dan said "All I wanted to do was buy a distributor cap, not get in an argument." But I told him I had it with that guy and it felt great to let him know why I hated to hand him any money.

By contrast, I called Summit again last night to order some stuff, and they were their usual friendly, helpful self. Made the transaction painless, and the guy said " You are a few dollars away from free shipping, would you like to add a 2016 calendar for $5.95?" Yep, I was wondering where I was going to get a new calendar anyway.

And then there is Sears. I bought some pants a few weeks ago and the glue on the one tag stuck to the pants, so I took them back. There were 3 cars in the entire parking lot and I was one of them. They gave me a huge hassle because I had tossed the receipt before I realized the pants had that mark on them, but they finally agreed when I raised a stink. They were very unfriendly about the whole thing and the clerk and manager looked bored.

And these local companies wonder why we shop more and more on the net ! :rolleyes:

Don

..... and the guy said " You are a few dollars away from free shipping, would you like to add a 2016 calendar for $5.95?" Yep, I was wondering where I was going to get a new calendar anyway.

Don

Guess you forgot about the upcoming RRR calendar? {Shameless plug :D}
Hope to have it ready for sale by mid Nov.....

Latest posts

Back