gas tank problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousedevil

i didn't know which section to post this, but here's my problem. my 50 chevy was built in a hurry(not by me.) i've inherited all the problems when i bought this car. my gas tank has a leak and i have a new fuel cell for it. when the guy built it he welded the tank in the car. i have no clue on how to remove it safely. i need some sound advice.
thanks,
chris

Drain it, flush it a couple times, fill it with water or with dry ice (CO2) or pump in Nitrogen, it will displace the oxygen and reduce the explosion hazard. Then cut it out with a Sawzal (less sparking) of if you have to, a cut off wheel.

I used to supervise underground gasoline storage tank removals and we always used dry ice or Nitrogen before moving the tank.

Drain it, flush it a couple times, fill it with water or with dry ice (CO2) or pump in Nitrogen, it will displace the oxygen and reduce the explosion hazard. Then cut it out with a Sawzal (less sparking) of if you have to, a cut off wheel.

Yep... I'd use a sawzal & don't do it anywhere near where u drain it.

They make epoxy for patching fuel tanks. I had a small pin hole in a tank that we welded a sump on and i used some of that epoxy and it has help up just fine. It's been on there fore 3-4 years now with no issues.

use the exhaust from another car/truck, run a hose from a tail pipe into the opening of the tank let it run a for alittle bit before you start and leave it running while your doing the cut work. you can even use a torch to do it then. the same thing can be done for welding too.

odie

I like the flush with soapy water a couple of times. I have even left the water in it and began cutting with a torch or cut off wheel when i am real weary of it going KABOOM in my face.

All of the above....Just do it outside and away from anything you might want to keep and for Gods sake please have a fire extinguisher handy. Oh yeah, leave yourself enough room to move in a hurry if you need to.:eek:
Good luck!!!

I agree with the others. The simplest way is to drain the tank, flush it with water, then fill it with water and leave it full of water while you are cutting it out.

Latest posts

Back