Gauges- What are you using?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_J

Trey and I are looking for gauges for the truck. We would like to find something that would fit the stock '36 Ford truck dash.

We need a speedometer (cable drive), temp and Oil Pressure. I'll make a charge light and maybe put a gauge under the dash Amps.

What are ya'll using?

On the topic of gauges does anyone know what ohm range a 92 Chevy gas gage is? I need to put one in my 54 Ford truck, the tank and sending unit is a 92 Chevy. Thanks Doug

I bought an Autometer electronic speedo set for my current project but I've used VDO in the past with good results, both cable drive and electronic.

Blue

Hi Paul_J, The smaller holes for the gauges are slightly bigger than the usual gauges so it's tough to find single gauges of any brand to fit. I collected used '36 gauges and used the face plates and the housings. My donor truck is an '87 Ranger so I robbed the round gauges out of it and they fit right into the round housing holes for the two outside gauges.[You'll notice in the picture that they have a black background, temp and fuel]. My gas tank is from the Ranger so it should run the gauge all right and I bought a Ranger sender for the water temp. For the two inside gauges you don't have much room so I made them both idiot lights, oil press and amps. They are hard plastic tubes that my pencil grinder burrs come in, with little red LED lights glued into the bottom. The back half of each tube is painted pewter like the gauge face plates are, for reflection. I had to do my own writing on the face plates. Good luck with whole project!

Attachments

• left wired .jpg
    left wired .jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 29
I have used VDO for 25+ years with no problems. Used Autometer for 17 years without problems.
Tim

Thanks for all the advice and thanks MercuryMac for the tip for the gauge holes. I'm going to do some digging around and see what I can come up with.

Hey Tryed the 0-90 ohm gage and it pegs it, must be a higher ohm rating. the sender is a 92 Chevy 3500,with the fuel pump disconnected...any help out there?:confused:

Trey and I are looking for gauges for the truck. We would like to find something that would fit the stock '36 Ford truck dash.

We need a speedometer (cable drive), temp and Oil Pressure. I'll make a charge light and maybe put a gauge under the dash Amps.

What are ya'll using?

don,t use a amp gauge, they are obsolete and unsafe, go with a voltmeter

DougnDog. I had a Chevy sender,[probably from the '80's] running my '55 Merc pick-up gas gauge. I though the ohms numbers were about right, but backwards to make a ford gauge read properly. I had two tanks and two gauges so with one reading backwards and one forwards I had trouble with my dyslexia flaring up, so I tried to fix the sender to work the other way. When smoke started coming out of the sender I thought better of putting it back in a tank of gas. Now I have one functioning gauge and I am feeling better.

My Son is running Stewart Warner Wings gauges in his rpu and I liked them so much I ordered a set for my current rpu project. We both got the electronic speedometer that you can program for your gear ratio and tire diameter.

Don

Yeah Don, it's looking more and more like that is the route we're going to go. Trey really likes the stock dash look but he can't afford the stock dash price!

Latest posts

Back