Geez, another forum mini-rant

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilD

I go to a site thats more specific towards my Valiant and theres alot of semi-uptight people there like other forums(not here)and I usualy blow things off like this.
A few weeks ago I posted some info about an upcoming show and theres a reply saying that if you enter your car in this show expect to lose because its run by this group and the show is mostly their type of cars.
I go to shows to talk to people and see other cars. I could care less if I win a trophy. Just baffles me that a person wouldnt go to a show only because they think they wouldnt win a trophy?

There's always a few who only go for the trophy's. i have a friend like that, if it's not a judged show, he really doesn't care too much for it. He has been to a few cruise in's with us, and if it hadn't of been for the door prizes and the 50/50 pot, he wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.

I don't feel my car is a trophy car. I didn't put it together to win trophy's, I built it to have fun with, if it wins a trophy or plaque every once in a while, I'm happy, too. First one that I ever won was a participant's choice. I was absolutely astonished that my car was picked over several much nicer cars. I never knew who voted for me, but I accepted it with pride!

Go for the fun! Trophy's and plaques just add to it! And if you don't win anything, you still had a good time!

I think the same thing. My cars a turd but people still come up and talk to me about it. Even had a guy take a pic of it[S

I've only had my car at two shows and won a plaque at one for best ratrod and a trophy at the other for best 50. I never expected any thing at either but was very proud of both. Never will I go expecting to win tho. I go to be in company of other people that are as crazy as me.

same

no trophy hunting for me, but they seem to come any way[S

go for the fact just to enjoy, as others said, a prize of any kind is a bonus.

Later :cool:

Most of the 'shows' I go to around here are basically cruise-ins & don't give trophies & if I do win one... I never keep 'um. I go for the fun of it & to get realy I throw the Micky D bags out & clean my windshield! :D

BoB

We go to shows to relax, hang out with friends from out of town, and pick up some parts. If i do win a trophy, it is just a bonus.
Tim

Me and some buddies were selected to judge cars at a local show once and there was one guy that did have a really nice car but he ****ed off two of my buddies that were trying to look at his car so they didnt give him a trophy. Dude was in their faces telling them who painted the car, who did the chassis, who did this, who did that. He just kept rambling and getting in their way until they finaly gave up and walked away. Nice car and probably a nice guy but he wanted that trophy too much.

Years ago, when I got my 27 on the road for the first time, it was fun to go to shows and occasionally win a trophy or plaque. But after a while you start to realize they really don't mean a lot and are hard to keep dusted. :D When I moved from my old shop to the new one I put about 10 of them in the dumpster and only kept the tallest and the ones that meant the most to me.

The choice to give a car a trophy or not is very subjective and I have seen some really nice cars overlooked because the Judges were fans of a particular brand or style. One show I went to the top 4 winners were 55-56 T Birds and it wasn't a T Bird show. The Judges just happened to have a Bird fetish.

I rarely go to shows anymore, I got burned out years ago. But if I do go I leave even before the trophies are announced as that part has little appeal for me these days.

Don

I have entered a few. When I pulled up to the gate the guy responded "what class" I responded back "you really think so, because my wife said I didn't have any" this stops them in thier tracks.

I used to like winning trophies when I showed my Rambler mainly because I was up against stiff competition in Street Machine classes usually. I went to an AMC show once that was open to all AMC's but was hosted by a national club. I overheard a couple of judges looking at my car say mine was the nicest one there, but I didn't belong to the club,so I got nothing. Like Don, when we moved I got rid of all the trophies except the special ones.

Now I mostly go to shows for the road trip.

Blue

Latest posts

Back