Getting closer to my first build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XtremeS10

So I'm still lurking all over the boards and making my way toward a build! I've ditched a couple of my original ideas for something that'll work within budgets and my beginner level skill set. So far I'm planning a 60s pickup (have one close by owned by a friend 66 f250 in road going condition no rot at all) make it flat black, bag it, big tire rear with a 4 link, not sure on the front as I wanna run dually style front wheels (big spikes yes?!) some form of a manual trans and whatever motor I can get in a junkyard, interior just as it sits..

I feel that working with an existing frame and a truck that's complete and turning it a little more rat/kustom is better than jumping into a 30s cab that I'll have to custom fab everything *first time around*

I guess I have a couple questions, anything I should look for that make these trucks a no go? I.e. frame rot, cab rot, rear end or suspension problems?? Can air be added easily with the 60s style trucks?? Not sure what the front end of these trucks are like as all my current experience is late model stuff. Any thoughts on my ideas? I plan to pick up a nice mig welder and begin working on small projects ASAP before jumping into this as well, possibly take a welding course at a local vocational school

Those rot around the front cab mounts, the rear of the front fenders, the radiator support - especially around the headlight area and all the normal truck rust out spots - rear cab corners, etc. The frames and drivetrains are fairly solid. The front end - twin I-beam IFS can really only be lowered with drop beams. You'd need to stub a different front end on for bags. Is it 8 lug? Pics will be needed! If it's an 4.9L I6, keep it and turbo it! (I wanna do that one someday)

Not 100% sure anymore, but I think that cab and body will drop right on a early 70's frame.

Those rot around the front cab mounts, the rear of the front fenders, the radiator support - especially around the headlight area and all the normal truck rust out spots - rear cab corners, etc. The frames and drivetrains are fairly solid. The front end - twin I-beam IFS can really only be lowered with drop beams. You'd need to stub a different front end on for bags. Is it 8 lug? Pics will be needed! If it's an 4.9L I6, keep it and turbo it! (I wanna do that one someday)

Not 100% sure anymore, but I think that cab and body will drop right on a early 70's frame.

I was thinking s10 frame just because it's plentiful, simple, clean, I can bolt any combination of small or big block in it ect, the truck I'm looking at has been kept exceptionally, under coated 3-4 times over the years, anywhere rust started they immediately sanded and blasted with rust oleum, a few floor patches, full clean interior, it is 8 lug, which I wanna keep up front, and run a super single 5 lug rear, I reall wanna do the single rear and spiked dually front look

Also, would considering a mustang 2 front be an advantage to a frame swap?

we lioke pics bring um on

I'm gonna go take a close up look tomorrow but here's a pic the owner sent

afffd538.jpg

Crown Vic k-member will be needed with a narrower rear end if I recall correctly. This will allow you to have a-arms versus i-beams that are hard to modify when you want your truck to lay frame. You may have a mess on your hands if you want to run large diameter dually wheels, take lots of measurements. A S-10 frame might be a tad narrow. A 4 link would be nice out back, you could go bag on bar for a smoother ride. That will be a nice truck if you get it. I would leave the 6cyl in it too, they are almost indestructible and leave a lot of room under the hood for your wheels to tuck in.

If you screw up that beautiful old truck I will personally come find you and beat you severely amongst the head and shoulders with a rubber chicken. Plus you already named yourself S10 so legally you have to build an S10 now.

If you screw up that beautiful old truck I will personally come find you and beat you severely amongst the head and shoulders with a rubber chicken. Plus you already named yourself S10 so legally you have to build an S10 now.

I have to agree that truck is n great shape please don't hack it up and bomb it black to make a "rat" that is such a nice original looking truck.

Crown Vic k-member will be needed with a narrower rear end if I recall correctly. This will allow you to have a-arms versus i-beams that are hard to modify when you want your truck to lay frame. You may have a mess on your hands if you want to run large diameter dually wheels, take lots of measurements. A S-10 frame might be a tad narrow. A 4 link would be nice out back, you could go bag on bar for a smoother ride. That will be a nice truck if you get it. I would leave the 6cyl in it too, they are almost indestructible and leave a lot of room under the hood for your wheels to tuck in.
I'm only looking at 20's with a low low profile but I'm guessing it has more to do with how the wheel works back inward yes?

I have to agree that truck is n great shape please don't hack it up and bomb it black to make a "rat" that is such a nice original looking truck.
Sorry guys, but that's about the shape of vehicle I'm willing to work with, it may not be I'm as good of shape as you think, he's trying to offload it for $2400 and hasn't been able to in years... As for building an s10, uhhhh you mean like my cammed 6.0 swapped 01' that's a street strip truck?
:p

IMG_0821.jpg

Is it me or does anyone else think the frame look's bowed in the middle.
The way the bed's kicked up in back,to me it look's like the frame is bowed/bent.
Maybe just the way the picture is or maybe cause I haven't had my coffee yet ????
Righteous....

First, forget about anything S10 on that F100. Too small. The 60's Fords already have a narrow trackwidth for the size of the vehicle and a S10 would make it worse. There are several good options for stubbing that truck. MII is very common. That's probably a Dana 60 rear too - work with it if you can.

What motor and trans? You can also find larger wheel well opening fenders for the front if you were to go with bigger tires.

Is it me or does anyone else think the frame look's bowed in the middle.
The way the bed's kicked up in back,to me it look's like the frame is bowed/bent.
Maybe just the way the picture is or maybe cause I haven't had my coffee yet ????
Righteous....

I still didnt get a chance to go see in person but I think you might be right on it...

First, forget about anything S10 on that F100. Too small. The 60's Fords already have a narrow trackwidth for the size of the vehicle and a S10 would make it worse. There are several good options for stubbing that truck. MII is very common. That's probably a Dana 60 rear too - work with it if you can.

What motor and trans? You can also find larger wheel well opening fenders for the front if you were to go with bigger tires.

Gotcha on that, I believe its a 6cyl I would keep the rear but I would much rather swap it to a v8 or cummins with a 6 speed...

Looks straight to me. maybe sitting in a rut or something on left front. I wouldn't mess with the truck too much either...it looks good the way it is...[cl

Looks straight to me. maybe sitting in a rut or something on left front. I wouldn't mess with the truck too much either...it looks good the way it is...[cl

I cant stand the color and thats the first thing the lady friend says has to go and I couldnt agree more, and it really needs bagged and a floor shifting trans lol

Alright for the guys not wanting to see it chopped up, being I'm a novice and looking to do a fully bagged first build on a budget, give me some ideas? I love all the diesel dually rats but I don't even know where to start looking for a 30-40s truck that's got enough of it left to work with, being outside Pittsburgh the weather is not kind to metal, I don't want to have to be making a whole new floor pan from scratch.. I think with a few friends a frame and suspension isn't a big deal and I'd like to run it without a bed *if* I go away from the 60s pickups

for reference the type of project I really want to do but I feel is way beyond my skill level is a 30-40s cab over with a turbo diesel and some form of manual... I really don't feel its within my skill level being that I've never even looked at one in person

similar to this maybe with a flat bed..

4714506943_08aee3d619.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, but that F100 isn't pristine. The front fenders look to have rust out at the bottom and that means the cab likely has rot. The rear fenders look to be cut or pulled out to fit the big tires and what has been done on that rear axle? It's been painted and is probably hiding more damage. It's not by any means a rare vehicle. Go at it!

Check this thread from the HAMB. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423932&showall=1 Some good info. You have several choices for a front clip and it's been done plenty times before so you're not going into unknown territory.

They look great low:
DSCN4424.jpg

Sorry, but that F100 isn't pristine. The front fenders look to have rust out at the bottom and that means the cab likely has rot. The rear fenders look to be cut or pulled out to fit the big tires and what has been done on that rear axle? It's been painted and is probably hiding more damage. It's not by any means a rare vehicle. Go at it!

Check this thread from the HAMB. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423932&showall=1 Some good info. You have several choices for a front clip and it's been done plenty times before so you're not going into unknown territory.

They look great low:
DSCN4424.jpg

I figured it'd be a better choice before getting into a cab over but it does sound like more than I had thought as well, but like I said I have no clues on anything with a cab over at least I have a basic understanding on a typical pickup

Don't get me wrong I'd do a bagged pickup regardless but my ultimate goal is a cabover, that's what makes me go "I want to drive that!" But I don't want to get into a high budget due to low skill level situation where it sits while I can pay for bits and pieces to get done..

I guess a better question is, is it going to be much more difficult to do the project I really want to do up front which is that COE, or to start with a smaller project and work my way up? I don't want to chop it, I just want to slam it and put some form of manual with a diesel or some other power plant in it, flatbed it with stakes and be done (COE that is) and its already a dually which is what I want... would there be less fab work than I think? Being I have never worked on one I am kinda at a loss on it or even where the heck I could find one...

I don't want to sound like a smart a_ _ or anything, so please don't
take this the wrong way BUT!! I think you need to find some car, (rat)
guy's to hang around and learn a little more about what you like, dislike,
and what it takes to put a car together!!
While I admire your willingness to jump in with both feet, you don't really
seem to know exactly what you want!! Hit the shows look, look, and then
look some more! Eventually you'll figure out what it is you have to build!

Like I said, I'm not trying to kill your dreams, just trying to keep you from
starting a build thats doomed to fail! BTW running you're thoughts by these guy's isn't a bad idea you can get a lot of info that way!!
Good Luck!!

Latest posts

Back