Got fire!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docsholiday

I had plenty of time on my hands...a couple bowls of weed and a killer Rob Zombie CD cranked up on the stereo. This scene is always a crap shoot and I have come to accept and deal with this build on those terms.

I bought a new Dizzy, 8mm plug wires and new spark plugs (went one heat range up from previous ones that have been removed).

I built a couple of T.D.C. tools (posted pics here earlier) to assist in finding TDC and once I did that I went ahead and brought the harmonic balancer back around to 20* BTDC for my initial timing.

The dizzy a performance built aftermarket HEI unit. $35 online!!!! 65K coil, performance module, CNC cast alum. body and brass contacts at the rotor and cap too.

I set the dizzy up to set #1 cyl. in the 5:30 o'clock position. Gives a bit more clearance at the firewall for the advance vacuum canister.
The vacuum advance can was adjusted 'inward' 8 out of the possible 10 turns available for adjustment. This setting brings in full advance quickly.

Went about the rest of the install without incident...and damn if it didn't fire on the first crank. Damn I'm good...

Now the whole point of swapping out the old dizzy was due to the fact that it was OLD! yea, I did what I could for the ol boy, but it just wasn't good enough for me.
Today I'll fine tweak the ignition with my timing light and then I'll go out into the neighborhood streets to wreak havoc and really fine tune the distributor timing and the vacuum advance can adjustment too.
I'm happy right now and hope to be even happier within the next couple of hours!
IF this new dizzy still runs out of steam early in the RPM band, as did the old one that has been **** canned....then I will definitely go to a Crane 1000-1500 dizzy and the Hi6 crane ignition box CDI unit. I just hate to spend the $$$ for that stuff, but if it gets the job done...
later

Latest posts

Back