Grand national roadster show...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawg

The car that won AMBR in 1951 was a'29 track roadster very similar to the car I am building. Can anyone here access some pics of that car? I've done some searching, but no luck. 1951 was the first year of the AMBR trophy, and I believe this car was featured in the Feb 1971 issue of Rod&Custom? TIA...

One 1951 Oakland Roadster Show winner coming right up......... :D:D

Don

Attachments

• cccc3.jpg
    cccc3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
  • cccc2.JPG
    cccc2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 14
Great job, and nice car, but the car I'm talking about was an 29 A, not a T. The driver's door was welded up, and I think it might have been green?...

Great job, and nice car, but the car I'm talking about was an 29 A, not a T. The driver's door was welded up, and I think it might have been green?...

Well, the red one won in 1951, but in 1950 Bill Niekamp won with a blue roadster. Is this it?

Don

Attachments

• cccc.jpg
    cccc.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Here is a little more info on that '29.

Don

The NieKamp Roadster was conceived in 1949, when Bill NieKamp was a middle-aged man playing a young man's game. Forty-three years old at the time, he set out to build a hot rod he could enter in car shows and race at Southern California's dry lakes.

A body assembler and painter at the Plymouth factory in Long Beach, California, NieKamp bought a 1929 Model A roadster body for $15 and channeled it over 1927 Essex frame rails. NieKamp performed most of the work himself, using very basic techniques.

Whitey Clayton fabricated the bellypan, hood, and track nose, while NieKamp made the floorboard and nerf bars. Under the hood, NieKamp installed a 1942 Mercury flathead V-8 with Evans heads, a Weiand intake manifold, a Winfield cam, and a pair of Strom*berg 97 carburetors.

NieKamp kept close records along the way, and the sum cost of the project came to $1,888.72.

Before NieKamp raced the car, he showed it at the inaugural National Roadster Show in Oakland, Califor*nia, in lakes trim with a passenger-side tonneau and no windshield. The meticulously built rod won the first America's Most Beautiful Roadster award.

NieKamp raced the roadster at El Mirage for three seasons, culminating with a run of 142.40 mph in July 1952. Soon thereafter, he turned down a $2,800 offer for the car, opting instead to raffle it off to benefit a racer who had been seriously injured at Bonneville.

The winner of the raffle, a young soldier named **** Russell, drove it as his daily driver and raced it at the Santa Ana Drags before selling it to Delmer Brink in 1958.

Brink decided to swap in a Buick nailhead engine, but never completed the work, and sold the car to then Rod & Custom associate editor Jim "Jake" Jacobs in 1969 for $1,300. Jake, who had recognized the car as the very first AMBR winner, restored it in a 1971 series of articles in the magazine.

Jacobs' efforts made the NieKamp roadster the first historic hot rod to be restored, a practice that would come into vogue 20 years later.

After the flathead Jake installed died in 1975, he replaced it with a 265-cid Chevy V-8. The small block remained in the car until 1997, when the roadster was invited to compete in the first Hot Rod class at the 1997 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

Attachments

• dddd.jpg
    dddd.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
  • dddd2.jpg
    dddd2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
Awesome! That's the car, my bad for relying on another source as of the year it won the show. I was mistaken in thinking 1951 was the first year. Thanks Don, great job!...

You're very welcome. I remember when Rod and Custom did the article on bringing the roadster back to life and driving it to the Street Rod Nationals. They did a great job of restoring it, and had to correct a lot of sins on the car from years of neglect and shoddy stuff done to it (someone had shoehorned a Buick engine in there and cut it up bad to do so.

I always loved that car and am so glad to see it survived intact.

Don

Latest posts

Back