'Hamb' questions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
I know that some of you guy are on the hamb ,Can some one give me some pointers on surfing the 'hamb', i know there is some good custom 50 fords on there but i dont really under stand how to get around on there to look at stuff ,and i really dont want to fool with joining up just to look for info?
Its a lot differant that this forum.

They have a great search feature. You may have to sign up to use it, I don't know. Just go to the forum page, hit search. Type in some key words, like 50 ford, or shoebox, or business coupe. A list of threads with your key words will come up and you just look through the ones that sound right to you.
It will take up alot of time because you will get alot of threads. Good luck.

Tom,

Like bonehead said, you are going to have to sign up in order to use their “search” function.

Then you can do a search “1950 Ford” or “’50 Ford” (with the parentheses) and it should give you all the posts (newest to oldest) containing those words.

I've tried to use their search quite a few times, and it either rejects it because each word has to be more that four letters, or I get every conceivable thread in the world on every other subject than the one I want. I find it almost impossible to find anything on there.

Don

I've tried to use their search quite a few times, and it either rejects it because each word has to be more that four letters, or I get every conceivable thread in the world on every other subject than the one I want. I find it almost impossible to find anything on there.

Don

I find that with most forums myself. And once it's got more stuff, I'm sure my own will be the same way. :D:eek:

That is the one bad thing about the vBulletin software. I tried to lower the letter count for searches on RRR but still run into that problem sometimes myself.

BoB

Personally. I believe it to be the internet in general. It's full of useless informationm but to find something you NEED or actual FACT, HAHAHA.

Most of what you do find is only opinion as the internet is mostly opinion and when looking for info you end up with lot's of useless garbage but very little of substance.

Fort instance. I recently rebuilt my forum starting from scratch including a new domain. I had to teach myself a crash course in PHP and FTP and "building a REAL site" as opposed to the type of site I had used before.

So. first thing I had to do was figure out how to upload to a server. Used ftp, etc.

So, you'd think enough people did this that there would be ALL KINDS of info!!

Except most "tutorials" even start off with, "Once you've loaded your site to your server...."

You get the idea.

Then doing searches and searches I had to really WORK at finding ANY useful information. Even little things. Do a search and instead of valid info get a forum with the question looked for on a thread but all that is there is some12 year old going "Why bother?" or "We've already discussed this NOOB!!" to someone asking a valid question and of course there being NO links to that elusive "discussion"!!

So I get why people get frustrated. Looking for info on a particular make and model of car? I know. Google it. Even if you ask a specific question, you're likely to get Ebay ads!!!

Ah well. Sometimes you get lucky but you have to search "around" the subject and follow "trails".

And most importantly. remember, even the HAMB is just opinion. Just because someone did it don't mean they did it right!! Find a few people that did it and compare notes. NEVER take the Wikipedia for "fact" as again, it's just people's opinions. Use it as a tool to find VALID information and go on the hunt from there.

I'll use Wiki to quickly look something up but will never quote it for facts on my own forum as it's not "fact". It's pretty accurate in a lot of cases though so if you're stuck, go ahead and use it but DOUBLE CHECK if at all possible!!

Even books aren't always accurate and in Biographys and similar may be skewed to a person's personal bias so you can imagine how inaccurate the internet can be!! But as you would with looking something up in books, just get other opinions and compare the info.

An example? Read Lee Iaccoca's biography and you will think Henry Ford 2 was a vile evil creature. But if you read other more truthful accounts, he is one Hell of a character and his main crime to Iaccoca's screwed up view was he never apologized to anyone for who he was!!

So, search but search carefully. It can be fun but I've found in the long run it can often be exhausting and a waste of time. Depends on my moods.:D

Latest posts

Back