Hand Clutch

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
Does anyone know if a motorcycle clutch master cyl. will operate a hydraulic throw out bearing? Foot space in my cab is going to be extremely limited and thought about mounting it to the shifter.[S

I can see it working, but getting the length of throw you need may take some doing, along with the effort required... It would take some trial and error, but I bet you can come up with a workable solution.

The volume of fluid needed for the throwout may be more than a motorcycle master can displace.I think the pressure is there just not the amount.

I'm not real sharp when it comes to pressure and mc bore sizes. If it can be done it seems like it will boil down to leverage and mc bore size. Nothing can be done to the hydraulic throw out bearing.

Just a rough search. truck master 3/4"-7/8" bore with a 1" to 1 1/2" stroke. cycle 1/2"-9/16" bore with 3/4" to 1" stroke.To get the stroke on a truck master using a hand lever would require a gorilla grip.lol May could rig a lever but then you would need both hands to shift and steer with your knees. :D

just cause you have a motorcycle handle doesn't mean you have to use the motorcycle master cylinder.

I think this would be a cool idea, and I would like to see you pursue it!

It sure should be possible.....
They put together regular vehicles for handicapped people all the time and they do EVERYTHING with hand controls.

Interesting. I also believe you'll need some help with the leverage and volume. Just flapping my lips here, but maybe a "two stage" hydraulic system?

-Activate a small volume slave cylinder with the cycle master cyl. and lever.
-Slave cylinder provides the necessary pressure and stroke to activate the larger clutch master cyl.

Another dumb idea... leave the clutch pedal on the floor and use a hand brake... with a lever 3 feet tall. :D

It's been done. I can't remember what forum it was on but I can remember a thread for it. Maybe on killbillet. It may of been cable tho.

This reminds me of a mini-bike my brother built when we were dumb kids and had a hand clutch lever made from a Radio Flyer wagon handle on the left side to tension the drive belt. It was a real handful hanging onto the clutch lever and steering with one hand - more than a few painful crashes...

Hey, how about using a brake vacuum booster to assist the master cylinder and reduce the amount of force or sheer finger strength needed to pull the lever ?? Run a cable from the lever to a bellcrank / rod to actuate the booster and mount the clutch master cylinder on the other side of the booster. Probably would still take some major concentration to slip the clutch smoothly on standing starts though.... If you're running a GM drivetrain, diaphragm clutches are a bit easier to operate.

I'm running a 263ci Buick straight 8 with a Saginaw 4spd. It has a diaphram pressure plate. Seems like someone out there would have tried this before.[S

hand clutch

I think i saw something in a magazine and hand controls were used. It may have been a hand throttle though. the mag could have been Rebel Rods?

Here ya go - got to thinking about this and thought about those Boss Hoss V8 motorcycles, they have a clutch operated by a regular hand lever to a SB or even BB Chevy. Found a YouTube video of a modified setup a guy used on his, all mechanical with a Datsun vacuum booster. He also added a vacuum reservoir so it will operate a few times with the engine off. I can't figure out how to post the link so search for 'Boss Hoss ranger transmission' on YouTube.
I also found an all electronic setup that uses a small lever on the shift knob with a servo motor to operate the clutch arm, Zero effort and easily feathered, found it by searching for handicapped clutch operating solutions, called the clutch Duck or something like that. Downside is that it looks like a custom install by the company selling it, meaning expensive... There are videos of it operating, so if you know someone who is an electronic gizmo whiz, there is likely a low cost way to fab it up. Know any robot building nerds ?? :D

Latest posts

Back