have to get my 64 running in 5 days

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

I have had my build sitting outside my house in my drive way and has been sitting there and have been working on it for maybe two months. I received a notice from the city stating that I am against city ordnance having it sitting in an open area, I can not put it in the garage or store it amywhere. So my only option is to get this thing running.

any advise on how I should start to get this going ASAP.
I have the following done:

all suspension
brakes and brake lines
transmission and engine rebuilt
Steering colum

here is what I have:

old stock wire harness
all engine components
pedals and steering column
floor shifter

thanks

Depends on how freaky your ordinances are. Around here, if it has plates and all the DOT required parts - windshield, aired up tires, lights, etc. and you move every couple days (even if it gets pushed) they can't get ya.

I'd be looking for a buddies house to move it to if you don't get it good to go in time. Even if you have to limp it over there in the dead of night.

Since it sounds like you have the brakes, suspension, and steering down, I'd get the motor and trans going. Concentrate on the mechanics of it, the wiring can be rigged to get it moving.

If you're asking about passing inspection to get it plated, then that's another deal.

Don't work on cars or move out of any city that has BS "ordinances" like that. Pretty much your only choices. Once places like this get onto you they rarely let up. More freedoms going to the wayside...

What do you have to comply with exactly? First thing to know.

BED, seems to me (around here anyway) it's usually a neighbor a block or two away that is having a fit about something, not the people next door or the city. The city doesn't bother unless there is a complaint and I talk to my neighbors to make sure things are good.

Even if you had to set it up to hot wire to fire it you can move it around every other day. My step grandmother live in California where they had the same deal, she had a beater Toyota she forgot to move on the 4th day and got fined $125. She said she would move it five feet ahead after that and challenged the ordinance, she won.

So can you at least fill it with fluids and hot wire it for now? You can at least rig a gas can with a boat gas tank for now, all you have to do is secure it. Give us some more info.

Car cover that completely covers it? Wouldn't they have to get a search warrant to come on your property to look under the cover. I use covers on mine. They can't see the plate to see if it is current or not.

[cl [cl [cl [cl [cl

My suggestion to you tmontanez is to go to Uhaul and rent a dolly. Get a storage unit for a month and put it in there. Once the city sees it gone for a while they will live you alone. While it is in the storage unit you can work on it, I know a lot of people that do that. They use generators and consider the storage unit their shop. Or rent out door storage in one of those places for that matter. Just for the time being. Drag it home once in a while to work on it and just to irritate the people that turned you in.

This is just another one of the many reasons I could never live in town.....

That stinks but, rules are rules.
You can always do the minimal as mentioned above. That's not too hard, even to do in 5 days oops 4 now :(
Just start on it and don't stop till it moves on it's own :)
If you weren't' so far away I'd come over and help ya, with what you've got we'd be driving it by noon :D

I have had my build sitting outside my house in my drive way and has been sitting there and have been working on it for maybe two months. I received a notice from the city stating that I am against city ordnance having it sitting in an open area, I can not put it in the garage or store it amywhere. So my only option is to get this thing running.

any advise on how I should start to get this going ASAP.
I have the following done:

all suspension
brakes and brake lines
transmission and engine rebuilt
Steering colum

here is what I have:

old stock wire harness
all engine components
pedals and steering column
floor shifter

thanks

If you were close to me, I would help you load it up on one of our trailers to move it somewhere to help. I ended up with the 60 TBird sitting in my back yard over the same issue you are having. A neighbor complained to the home owners association which was going to start fining them for it, so I gave it a place to be in my back yard.....

Cheers
RustyNCA

thanks guys! I was able to find a buddy that would let me keep it in his garage till i got it running, so I can relax and not rush things. Turns out someone had went though our block and had a ton a complaints to throw out to the city! anyway all is good

thanks again

Glad you got it settled. Just another reason I'll never live in a city or in a subdivision with a homeowners assocation. Only person to complain around here is the wife, and she's the only one I'll listen too!!!

thanks guys! I was able to find a buddy that would let me keep it in his garage till i got it running, so I can relax and not rush things. Turns out someone had went though our block and had a ton a complaints to throw out to the city! anyway all is good

thanks again

Sounds like someone needs a new hobby. Maybe they should get into building ratrods!

Glad your friends came through for you.

I live in the sticks too
They'd have me ran out of the city in 27 and 1/2 min [ddd

Me too, I'd make a terrible neighbor in the city..I've been know to take a tractor and drag a parts car into the yard, roll it over on its roof or side to take suspension parts off..

or shoot at critters from the porch

or...:D:D

Latest posts

Back