Headlight conversion???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takalek

I got a 1938 chevrolet sedan in the works and need to install some headlights in the old girl. It did not have anything but the empty buckets when I bought the old girl and I can not seem to locate anything that will mount inside the buckets. Maybe I'm just getting old but those new flame thrower style headlights blind the crap out of me and just plan tick me off. My 39 chevy sedan has good old halogin sealbeams in her and they work great unfortunately she had them already installed when I bought her so I have no idea where or what they came out of. Any help would be appreciated.

I think the GM vehicles all the way to 54 used the same parts in the headlight department, maybe even later than that.
I'm sure you know the sealed beam bulbs are the same size for 6 volt as the 12 volt and interchange.

Jim

headlights

6024 Wagner or G.e. bulbs are what you are looking for. Halagen sealed beams. They do come in round and square. Got mine at local Semi-truck chrome shop. Counter guy told me he doesn't get many calls for them since all the makers today are going to the ugly square lights. Good luck.:cool:

headlight conversions!

Thanks Guys, But I do not have any problem finding the round 7" headlights themself. It is the inner workings that hold everything inside the buckets, I do not have anything except hollow shells sitting on the fenders. It is hard than all git out to find junk yard parts anymore, most have been crushed and recycled here in Missouri. I know I will find them I am just impatient I guess.

Where in Missouri are you located? I live 8 mi. North of Springfield.
I know exactly what your talking about, I'll go get you what you need and send it to ya :)
PM me your address

Jim

Headlight conversion

Well after reading some of the replys I remembered I had this old 50 Buick out back for parts, so I took the buckets out of it. Still no luck the parts were to large to allow the fitting of the adjusters in the buckets. So back to the drawing board. By the way anyone wanting 50 Buick parts I got one for parts and the price for parts is free and it's mostly complete just extremly rusted out. I hope you got my message Tired Iron and Thanks!!

headlight conversion

I think I sent you a PM Old Iron and I think I call you Tired Iron. Anyway I live down south and east of you out in the country just north of Mammoth Springs Arkansas. I tried 50 Buick bucket parts but the adjusters will not fit under the rings. I am more than likely going to have to buy a set of buckets off E-bay and scavange parts from them. I'm not too good at this computer stuff so if I make mistakes please forgive me!! LOL!

Headlight conversions!

Today I feel like a complete idiot, after all my flustration on headlights for my 1938 chevy sedan. I removed a headlight from my 1939 chevy sedan for comparison and low and behold they are completely different. The headlight bucket is about an inch smaller on the 38 than on the 39, that explains the reason for the adjusters not fitting inside the buckets. Now I am back to where I started and must find another 38 sedan for the parts I need. Most of the car shows I was at this year the owners of chevy sedans do not do thier own work they simply buy the car in working order and have no idea what I am talking about. Is there anyone here who owns a 38 chevy sedan that can give me the diameter of thier headlight bucket just to make sure mine are correct.

Here is a kit but you will still need the beauty rings.

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/33131.html

920544S.jpg

Is there anyone here who owns a 38 chevy sedan that can give me the diameter of thier headlight bucket just to make sure mine are correct.

I have a '38 and complete headlight assemblies. I'll dig 'em out today and take some measurements/pics. (Sorry I didn't read this thread a week ago!) Stay tuned......

Here ya go, measured as shown, 7 1/2''.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Across the flange of the mounting rings, 7 3/4''.

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

The trim piece and the outside dimension of the bucket are 8''.

Last edited:
headlight conversions!

Thanks Crank, the measurements are right on, the same as mine. Now I am thinking I must simply find another 38 chevy headlight bucket inner workings. Frenching them would be Ok I guess, it's just not the look I am trying to achieve. I love finding stuff at the Junk Yard and modify it to fit, It's not that I am cheap just hate spending money when I don't have to, besides my best times in life are spent digging around in my favorite place The Junk Yard!!!

headlight conversion

The deeper I look into this headlight stuff for my 38 chevy the more confused I get. I talked to the headlight Guru in up in Mass and he confirmed my suspesions on mounting a 7" headlight in the 38 bucket. It can be done but looks like crap, frenching them to the smaller bulb will work, and so will using a modern bulb replacement for the stock unit. Most of this stuff I can overcome it is the adjusters that have me in a fog. And after talking to the fella in Mass it sounds like the 37 and 38 are kinda unique and even the 37 and 38 are slightly different. So it's either finding a complete bucket set or shelling out bucks for an aftermarket set. I was really hoping to build this Rat Rod with scrounged parts and maintain the Rat look, but headlights are a real safety factor so the search for nervana goes on.

I think you're letting this little problem intimidate you [S
First thing is, do you have the headlight rings ?
Can't remember who posted this but, take a look this guy used stainless ice buckets ;)

Jim

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 12
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 6
  • bucke Parts.jpg
    bucke Parts.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 8
  • frenched fender.jpg
    frenched fender.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Frenched headlight bucket ice bucket.jpg
    Frenched headlight bucket ice bucket.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
  • headlight parts.jpg
    headlight parts.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 8
Here's how my lights are put together.

Front ring on the lamp....

IMG_1036-1.jpg

Back ring on, the three screws pinch the lamp between the front ring and back ring...

IMG_1035.jpg

Assembly placed inside the stainless trim ring. The three arrows are where the adjusters belong. That's how the headlights are mounted, only to the trim ring....

IMG_1033-1.jpg

Then the whole works is screwed to the bucket using these three holes...

IMG_1032-1.jpg

So the headlight assembly is mounted to the trim ring with the adjusters, and the trim ring is mounted to the bucket. The trim ring spaces the headlight assembly away from the actual bucket, allowing it to "float" on the three adjusters.

IMG_1029.jpg

headlights conversion

Now I see that I have been working with the wrong parts, I do have a set of rings but they do not appear anything like the one's you have shown me.
I reall appreciate the pictures, I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen and pictures really help me out. There was a complete set of buckets on E-bay for $250 but I waited too long trying to verify if they were in fact 38 chevy parts. Oh Yeah!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYs and GALS!!!! Thanks agin Crank you have been a wealth of info. Come spring if I still have no lights I'll probably contact you once more if thats OK!

Latest posts

Back