Heard a sad (car)story last night.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

My two Sons have been best friends with another guy since high school (they are all 43 now). This guy's Dad had a gas station for years and collected every old car he could get, mostly early 60's Mustangs. He had a fastback, a convertible, and a 64 1/2 coupe, plus tons and tons of engines and other parts for them. He also had a chopped 32 Ford five window coupe body and frame that were nice.

It was always promised that my Son's friend would get the one Mustang and his Brother would get the 32. The Dad died a long time ago but the cars were all jammed into a huge garage........and I mean JAMMED. We went over to see the stuff years ago and you had to climb over stuff just to get through. They wouldn't even talk about selling the coupe, I offered lots of times but they just said no, it was going to the one Brother.

Well, that Brother moved EVERYTHING to his barn, even the things that were promised to his Brother, and then he died too. So now the friend of my Sons finds out the Mom went in and sold everything off without any of them knowing about it, even the things the Dad had promised to my Sons friend. The coupe brought $10,000, which is a steal, the bodies alone bring $25K. All the Mustangs went for $10,000 too, also a steal.

The Mom is a little weird in the head, and seems to not care for the kids at all. My Sons friend feels terrible because that Mustang was the only thing he had left from his Dad and was planning on restoring it someday. He and his Mom have never been close and it is a shame because I always called him my 3rd Son...........he is a good guy and was at my house more than his when he was growing up.

It isn't like the Mom needed the money, she is VERY well off, she just did it IMO to spite her Son.

Don

Last edited:
I feel so bad for the kid. He grew up in a home that was very devoid of warmth. His Mom is older and detached from him and his Dad died when he was in HS. But he has a nice family now with a little girl, who is the apple of his eye, and he is a very successful musical instrument repair person. Famous musicians send their instruments to him for his work. So he has risen above all of his upbringing.

But this latest thing did hurt him and I feel bad for him, as do my Sons.

Don

That's a horrible story.

My mom asked me ( back in 95) if I wanted her 66 Ford Fairlane XL500 as she hadn't driven it in some time and was tired of it just sitting. She bought it brand new and at that time it had 102k on it. I had 15 cars at the time and had no place for it. I asked my nephew, he is 5 years younger than me, if he was interested. He wanted it. I said to him, " you can have it if you promise to sell it to me or give me first crack at buying it." He said ok. A year later I found out he sold it to a guy doing a restore on a GTA Fairlane and my moms car got parted out... You choose your friends but not your family...:confused:

You never know what goes on in families & in some old people's minds! Always sad when things like that happen & can easily tear a family apart!

BoB

Ya know, what in the world is wrong with people?
You hear stuff like this more and more.
I feel so sorry for your friend.
Similar incident. An engine builder friend of mine had over 60 BBC's in his dad's building, that they used for storage. He went to get one to build just to find them all gone.
His dad had sold them to a junk dealer for scrap. He didn't do it for spite though, the old gentleman had Alzheimer and really didn't know the difference.

As a person who is currently dealing with elder care issue's on both sides of the family I have seen family members do things that some would never have thought possible....
This needs to be a lesson to all of us that If you have something that you want a certain family member or person to get you need to have your ducks in a row to make sure that they get it. Multiple Names on titles,deeds,or whatever with rights of survivor. Current wills and or properly set up trusts. Ect. Don't trust some one to do the right thing after you are gone or not in charge anymore.

No one wants to think about the end and most never prepare for it. But when the end comes if no plans are made. One way or another, somebody is left with a mess to clean up. And somebody is going to be hurt/angry.
Torchie.

Its sad but I guess every one does or will have a sad car story :( My Dad collected 4 MGs before he passed ,, planing on fixing them up 2 convertables one hard top coupe they were 67s - 68s and one 82 MGB which all it needed at the time was to sand the pionts . Well my nephew bought them off of my Mom which helped her out on some money , and he was tickled to get them because they were his Pa.Pas .. after 12 years of sitting in the garage , he called the junk man 2 weeks ago and sold them for scrap prices . which was around $220 a car didnt ask any one else if they may be interested in them (or just say Im selling them for scrap any body want them ? ) Who knows what people thinks now a days [S

As a person who is currently dealing with elder care issue's on both sides of the family I have seen family members do things that some would never have thought possible....
This needs to be a lesson to all of us that If you have something that you want a certain family member or person to get you need to have your ducks in a row to make sure that they get it. Multiple Names on titles,deeds,or whatever with rights of survivor. Current wills and or properly set up trusts. Ect. Don't trust some one to do the right thing after you are gone or not in charge anymore.

No one wants to think about the end and most never prepare for it. But when the end comes if no plans are made. One way or another, somebody is left with a mess to clean up. And somebody is going to be hurt/angry.
Torchie.

So right you are. You hit that nail right on the head.

Torchie is right. My ex wife was telling me about her Mom who passed away recently, and how her Brother and SIL went in and started digging through her stuff and took back all the things they had given her for Christmas and Birthday gifts. They looted her jewelry box, and the Son immediately talked his Dad into a power of attorney so he now has control over all their assets.

I know I will never have that problem. One time I waved my hand and said to my two Sons, some day all this stuff hanging in the shop will be yours. They said "You better never die, Old Man !" :eek::D I guess they don't know good stuff when they see it.

Don

Latest posts

Back