Heating My garage

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
So I am looking into getting some heat in my garage. I have a small 2 stall. I can fit 2 cars in it with nothing else if I climb out of the windows!! lol. Anyhow I have the walls insulated with R13 (or at least thats what I believe it is), and a wood celing with a ton of junk up there.

Gas is not an option. The garage is too far from the house and it will be far too expensive to run pipe out there. I have looked at Propane heater heads, but im not too sure it will do. I have a wood stove in there that I picked up cheap but im afraid that its way too big and that ill catch myself on fire.

Suggestions??

I would recommend using a down flow trailer furnace. You could run it on Kerosene and perch it on top of a cottage base. They are cheap and run well. Often you can pick them up form trailer parks for a song.

well if ya got the stove and have access to the wood to burn-that would be a cheap way to go--as long as you can "plumb" the smoke stack/chimney safely

another idea, and one i use some is a 3 brick infra-red heater (picked up used) attached to an angle iron frame locating the heater 2 ft. or so from the floor, the back of this frame has a space for a bbq grill bottle complete w/regulator.....it will last, on high setting, for around 2-3 days @6-7hrs/day (week-end?)
and i got it on wheels i can roll it to where i want to focus the warmth:D
i'll try to get ya a pic of the set up -but just think "redneck engineering" and you'll get the picture..:rolleyes:

We are looking at heating our shop this winter. Northern Tool has there propane heaters on sale that hang from the ceiling. Saving floor space. We have propane with in 100' of the shop. You could always get a big 100lb tank for your propane.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316365_200316365

172645_lg.gif

I usually just catch my pants on fire while welding to keep warm. :D

Last year all I used was a propane heater or a oil radiator next to where I was working. I'm about ready for some real heat this year though. Can't run gas either thou.

Ventless wall mounted propane. You can run it off a 100 pound tank for quite a while. I had one in my last garage and one in my family room because the heater in the house wouldn't seem to keep it warm. Lowes and Home Depot carry them and they're under a hundred bucks.:D.......CR

CORN.
I built a small corn burner for a guy out in oky land. He had a small shop also. It hooks up to a compressor and has a small screw conveyor that feeds the pot. Puts out a mega hot blue flame about 16" high. Doesnt fill shop with nasty gasses either. Dont know if its what your lookin for but it a kool conversation piece in the shop. If interested I will post you a pic for some indes.

CORN.
I built a small corn burner for a guy out in oky land. He had a small shop also. It hooks up to a compressor and has a small screw conveyor that feeds the pot. Puts out a mega hot blue flame about 16" high. Doesnt fill shop with nasty gasses either. Dont know if its what your lookin for but it a kool conversation piece in the shop. If interested I will post you a pic for some indes.

You know I though about that but im sure the city would flip. I left a wheel outside for a couple of days and they sent me a citation.

This thread caught me as being a little funny. Down here in south Florida we can't wait for the fall and winter months so we don't have to work in a 90+ degree shop, and you guys up north are starting to think about keeping yours warm enough to work in.:)

I remember when I rented a little shop in Pa I had a kerosene heater and it left an oily taste in your mouth after working in there for a while. Probably I didn't have it vented properly or something, but it did take the chill out of the air so you could at least work.

Don

This thread caught me as being a little funny. Down here in south Florida we can't wait for the fall and winter months so we don't have to work in a 90+ degree shop, and you guys up north are starting to think about keeping yours warm enough to work in.:)

I remember when I rented a little shop in Pa I had a kerosene heater and it left an oily taste in your mouth after working in there for a while. Probably I didn't have it vented properly or something, but it did take the chill out of the air so you could at least work.

Don

lol. Too funny Don. Ya the other night it got down to 27, and every night is cool. The sun is seting around 7:10 and the temp falls right off then too. Its about 50 or so at night which isnt really cold but I know its coming fast. And from what the weather people are saying its gonna be a really cold and long winter up here.

Yup, winter is definately in the mail.

I say go with a wood stove. I like the slogan Henry Ford had carved in the mantle of the fireplace in the back kitchen....... "Cut your own wood and it will heat you twice" :D

Just be very careful with those propane toad stool heaters - a good buddy of mine had one going and for some reason it hic-cuped and then all h*ll broke loose - lost a '39 Chevy grill[mine] it was attached to his '39 - lost it also along with two early 50's H.D. side cars, one his and one mine - we think that the guage wasn't working and it was really low on propane.

We are looking at heating our shop this winter. Northern Tool has there propane heaters on sale that hang from the ceiling. Saving floor space. We have propane with in 100' of the shop. You could always get a big 100lb tank for your propane.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316365_200316365

172645_lg.gif

I'm using that same heater in my shop (30x36)..75,000btu propane. Love it! Had it for 3-4 winters and will not go back to those small portable propane units again!

You can see it in the back corner of the shop in the attached pic below.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 19
Just be very careful with those propane toad stool heaters - a good buddy of mine had one going and for some reason it hic-cuped and then all h*ll broke loose - lost a '39 Chevy grill[mine] it was attached to his '39 - lost it also along with two early 50's H.D. side cars, one his and one mine - we think that the guage wasn't working and it was really low on propane.

I have the same type that I use for heating Homes I have built. They get too hot to handle, not good for garage work to me. Get the propane heater that hangs on the wall. Very efficient,low cost, and out of the way on the wall. A 100 lb. tank will last for quite a while. The new heaters have safety features on them that won't let the above mentioned happen to you. When it senses a problem it shuts itself off!...............CR

Ventless wall mounted propane. You can run it off a 100 pound tank for quite a while. I had one in my last garage and one in my family room because the heater in the house wouldn't seem to keep it warm. Lowes and Home Depot carry them and they're under a hundred bucks.:D.......CR

This is what I use in a 24X32X10 metal building and it works great.

I am actually thinking of going with Kerosene. I found a couple of the smaller ones on Craigslist. I fugure I can move it if I need to. If my garage was bigger I would run a nice celing mounted heater. In the garage I have now I know id just bang my head on it, lol

You'll be sorry!:eek: Every kerosene heater I ever saw left an odor that you can't seem to get rid of. I personally wouldn't take one if it was given to me!...Just my 2cents..:D.......CR

We have used kerosene or diesel fuel even in the heaters. It does leave a smell and it will make you sick if you are not carefull.

Latest posts

Back