Hello from California

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ry M

Hi! Just found this forum the other day after getting fed up with registering at KB 3 times. Seems like a much better and more real community here.

Anyways my dad and I recently got his old 46 Chevy Panel Truck. He owned it way back in the day and gave it to his brother in 1984. It sat in my uncles Washington back yard till 2009 when sadly my uncle passed away. We got it down to California and didn't really know what to do with it. We eventually came up with idea of turning it into a rat rod/ tow rig. Hopefully we will be starting it up here in the next month or so.

Here are some pictures of the truck and different ideas we have been thinking about. Totally open to any ideas you guys come up with. We are still tossing ideas around and looking at different things. Thanks!

4659215684_2b2a9b8b1e.jpg

4652983239_cab235be38.jpg

4659216060_4d9ec93672.jpg

4658593541_25557a8705.jpg

4670849941_be6a177a78.jpg

4670903309_a16143b1aa.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I would not lower it too much. Too many lowered trucks out there and that style looks good the way it is. Get some nice rims and tires and update the running gear and its good.

Thanks everyone!

The main thing I want is it to be low, and maybe a dually rear end.

Now my dad wants to run no fenders and cut a bunch off the bottom and lower the body down to the running boards. Kind of like the picture I photoshopped but with no fenders.

I personally love the look of it low with fat white walls, but my dad wants something different. Something not seen on every truck. We also have a GMC grille for it that we will be swapping out with the Chevrolet one.

Not sure how this is looked upon on this forum, but whats up with using a newer frame and suspension? What are common swaps people do?

Welcome to RRR!

That's a beauty!

I could see that fenderless and high. Almost military style. You'd need to narrow up the grill. Those style mud tires, but with wide whites.

If you section out some body, probably best to just cut off the bottom couple inches of rust. Personally, I'd leave it full.

As for frames, you won't get flamed here for using a late model frame, but it's general opinion that straight axle is much much better looking than ugly IFS - if your going fenderless. If it's hidden, good. Don't think a frame swap is the easy way - it's got its own set of problems.

welcome to the RRR! love the panel, and def. leave the patina.....

my opinion is lower, late model running gear and drive the wheels off it!!:D:cool:

Welcome to rrr

great project keep the pictures coming its going to be fun. Were in california? Pat

Trinity County. Kind of by Redding.

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'll update you all when we get started. Should be fun!

Latest posts

Back