Hello from Lithuania

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-error-59

Hi,

I'm Tomas from Lithuania, unfortunately I can't show you my project yet, it's in the process of planing, searching etc. But I've got good donor for the rod I'd like to build.

Welcome from Ontario, Canada, Tomas. Hope you enjoy this forum. Is there much hot rodding or rat rodding going on where you are? What type of car/truck are you thinking of building?

Welcome from Ontario, Canada, Tomas. Hope you enjoy this forum. Is there much hot rodding or rat rodding going on where you are? What type of car/truck are you thinking of building?

In my country there's no hot rodding/rat rodding culture, except retro antique car meets, tuned modern cars and biker shows.
I'm going to use ZIL 157 cabin, it will cost only 200 bucks. Why I've made such decision: for example original 1932-1935 roadster, coupe or sedan, that's what I was dreaming about, but back to reality, would cost me 3000 or even 10000$ + shipping 2000-3000$ :eek:
Understand me right, I'm not whining just bringing the facts and try to answer to further "why" etc. questions:) Just to make it clear.

First- what russians did, second- what i'd like to do:)
Sorry, I'm bad artist:eek:

Attachments

• zil-157-hot-rod-02.jpg
    zil-157-hot-rod-02.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 32
  • zil-157-hot-rat rod.jpg
    zil-157-hot-rat rod.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
ZIL 157 were built in Soviet Union, mainly for Army forces from 1958 till 1961, then ZIL 157K changed ZIL 157, built till 1978. From 1978 ZIL 157KD. ZIL used ZIS 151 cabin. ZIS were built from 1946 till 1958. As I think ZIL and ZIS are a Soviet copies of Dodge Power Wagon.

Hey that will be cool, and I understand what your saying. You build what you can find around you for what you want to spend. The shipping costs even for small parts start to add up very fast,so if you can find most of the stuff close to you its a lot cheaper to build a car.

I tell ya Tomas, I'm really digging the ZIL even without the modifications! I'd probably remove that roll bar thing and put a short (Model A style) bed on the back and call it good!

Of course it'll be your project and you should definitely make it the way you want it. But whatever happens, make sure and share more photos with us! :)

Fred B.

Welcome to RRR, T-error. Been a long time since I saw one of those & definitely not built like that. Only view I had of one was through bioculars before the Wall came down. However you build it, it'll be one neat & different rod.

I have Rover P4-100 chassis and ZIL's cab with fenders, hoods and grill.
Rover has IFS+disc brakes and rear spring susp. with drumbrakes. But the problem is the engine is in front, I mean I'd like the wheels would be in front not the nose/grill. Now I'm thinking how to do it, first way would be moving engine and trans back and shortening the driveshaft, second-moving the front end forward. :confused:

Latest posts

Back