Hello from South Africa!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ters

I joined your Facebook page a while ago, but wanted to interact with the creators of the beautiful cars I see on fb pages. I am from South Africa, Pretoria.
I own a '58 Ford Custom 300, '62 Chevy C10 Fleetside and a '68 Ford Galaxie LTD. The 58 is stock, except for 18" wheels, the 62 is a resto project, been standing since 1987 and the Galaxie is way over the acceptable norm in SA.
Would like to create some type of rat with the 62....lowered the front by releasing tension on the torsion bars, need to fit lower springs at the back.
(The photo's are before.)

The hotrod scene is very active here, but rats not at all. Basically only VW bugs been chopped, but sh*tty, not anything as pro as you guys.
Spares is a major hurdle, imported from USA, very expensive, or fabricated in someones garage. The most popular suspension is also Jag, I have never heard of anyone fabricating a custom frame for a car in SA....

I will be asking lots of stupid questions, and poor grammar included....
please forgive, my native language is Afrikaans/ Dutch. Very glad to be here!!

Attachments

• 17251_1164950018693_1676182516_339926_3498174_n.jpg
    17251_1164950018693_1676182516_339926_3498174_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00615.JPG
    DSC00615.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00614.JPG
    DSC00614.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00624.JPG
    DSC00624.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 40
Welcome friend
There are no stupid questions in our world, ask away.
as for the 62? get a welder and a saw and think cut, chop, lower.
:cool:

I will be asking lots of stupid questions, and poor grammar included....
please forgive, my native language is Afrikaans/ Dutch. Very glad to be here!!

***Stupid questions and poor grammar ? Your gonna fit right in ! Welcome to RRR from New Mexico !

The 58 speaks to me
Welcome to the site
Don't worry about the grammar or spelling, we can't read anyway :)
Hotrod society, remember ?????

Thanks.

Thank you all, I can see I will enjoy it here!! I have a confession, I joined another forum about 3 months ago, KB, but never felt at home. Your warm welcome and inspirational(?) threads made me feel that I rather belong here, KB membership deleted!!!

Need to browse some....
Thanks guys!

Welcome glad to meet people from around the world . The 58 ford and the Galaxie is so cool, what engines are you running in the fords.

Welcome glad to meet people from around the world . The 58 ford and the Galaxie is so cool, what engines are you running in the fords.

Hi 41Ratrod,
Great to be here, a nice forum to be at, all petrolheads!!

The 58 has a 332ci V8 and 3 speed colum shift manual, the Galaxie is 390ci
with auto colum shift. I am getting a 72 Ford Capri Perana replica today, will post pics soon!

The Perana was exclusive to South Africa, only 500 was fitted with a tuned
Ford 302ci. They were used for production car racing on our local circuits
during the 70's.

Unfortunately the one I am getting, is only a clone, but also very nice. 302ci with Toyota Celica Supra 5 speed. Mild cam with flowed heads.

Thank you for the compliments.

Ters.

Welcome to the triple R! Love your cars/truck but really dig the '58! [cl

ISore

Howdy from Oregon

Welcome to RRR Ters. We like all things that make good sounds and can be driven here. No car is not acceptable with, I would say, one exception and that would be something unsafe or poorly engineered. The truck will need all the requisite modifications i.e. lowered (crank the front torsion bars and cut the rear coils), you could chop the top but the glass is a tough problem and finally a satin finish. Oh! I almost forgot you must be able to hear it a "kilo" away. Split the exhaust manifold and run dual exhaust. We have been doing these tricks for years and if done right they are safe. I am not sure of the laws in your country but that is how we roll. No import cost. Steve

Guys,

Thank you for the welcome and interest. Finally got my Ford Capri Perana, remember I said it is a clone of an original, but still very rare and sought after.

Steve, I have released the tension on my front torsion bars ('62),busy with rear coils. The coil retainer cup screws are badly rusted, and a dog to loosen!!! I will post pics of any progress I make on her. For now I have to divide attention between my 3 classics and other domestics ( wife/ sons)!!

Thank you again for the interest.

Ters.

Attachments

• DSC00636.JPG
    DSC00636.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00634.JPG
    DSC00634.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 7