Hello from Switzerland . .

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman

Hello, my name's Simon . . . I'm 30years old and from Zürich Switzerland (no! not Sweden . . Switzerland . .). . the country of mountains, cheese, chocolate and nazi gold

I'm into cars since I can remember and always loved the idea of building a american hot rod . . unfortunately it's almost impossible to build something and get it legally on the road in this country . . even some minor modifications have to have papers documents form official Swiss-Test-facilities . . and they cost you at least a arm and a leg . .

So I stuck to mostly 70s cars because they are fun even if you can't heavily modify em . . and because I work for BMW Dealerships since I was 16, they were BMW's most of the time . . . this is what I drive right now:

image0.JPG

it's a 74 BMW 525 . .

anyway . . a few months ago I got my hands on this . .

1939331img.jpg

it's a 1997 BMW 540i with a 4.4l V8 . . nice car . . but way to much plastic for my taste . . but the engine is awesome . .

so . . I needed something to put the engine into . .

I was thinking of a old BMW to build a BMW-version of a classic american hot or rat rod . . . the problem is . . old BMW's are mostly crazy expensive . . and already restored to perfection . . not was I what looking for for my little project . .

after a lot of searching the internet . . I found this
picture001zg.jpg

picture010l.jpg

picture011nl.jpg

a 1947 BMW 321 sedan . . a chassis, all body panels and a few boxes of parts . . definitely not a minter . . but probably the only one which is affordable . . and actually it's ideal for my plan . . I love the rust . .

can't wait for it to arrive at my place . . . .

not sure to what to do with it when it's drivable . . because no way in hell that this will ever get something like a registration here . . . but who cares? . . it's all about the fun of building something . . I think . .

Last edited:
Looks like a cool project. Make sure to keep us posted on the build, it will be nice to see what it looks like when you are finished and the progress along the way. One of my favorite cars that I owned was a 74 BMW 2002 Tii. Wish I still had it.

Always wanted to visit Switzerland. We raised Bernese Mountain Dogs for many years.

Hi and welcome!!

I'm from the Netherlands and I know the problem of registration..... Lots of BS rules making it (almost) impossible to drive rods legaly...

But hey, were rebels too [ddd F**K em!!!!!

One of my favorite cars that I owned was a 74 BMW 2002 Tii. Wish I still had it.

Always wanted to visit Switzerland. We raised Bernese Mountain Dogs for many years.

wouff wouff!! :D "Berner Sennenhunde" are cool . .

yeah the 2002 are nice . . had a few of them myself . . but they are also kind of too popular around here . . everybody likes em . . I like to be different ;) . .

I'm from the Netherlands and I know the problem of registration..... Lots of BS rules making it (almost) impossible to drive rods legaly...

But hey, were rebels too [ddd F**K em!!!!!

I wouldn't cell em BS-rules . . but some of em are very annoying . . on the other hand I do see a lot of unsafe cars on the streets because everybody thinks that he's a engineer . . [S . . well we can't have a perfect world I guess . .

Last edited:
I know...
I call some rules BS because they are...
A friend of mine went for dutch registration last week and his car was refused because of having shaved doors.. The car has remote operated door poppers... (what about a new Mercedes??)
Rules say the door must be opened manualy from the in-and outside..
So he pull his shoe-lace out of his shoe, tied it up to the doorlock-mechanism and the car got his registration.................that's BS isn't it??

Latest posts

Back