Hello From Tampa, Florida

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratty57

New to the forum. I am entertaining a new purchase and wanted to get some feebcak from you all. Well, I do not have any pics to post but I'll describe the best that I can.

The car started out as a 1957 Ford Fairlane. It is currently for sale by a repair shop owner in the Tampa area. He calls it a 1957 Ford Buggy. Basically, it is a '57 with everything removed (hood, doors, trunk, back seat). It has a small bed on the back with a hook that he would use for moving large parts around his shop/junkyard. It's been sitting around for about 3-4 years since it last ran. I am definitely a newbie but pretty mechanically inclined and can follow directions well.

Here are my questions. I have a pretty good idea of what to do in order to start (try to start) it. BTW it's a 351W and I beleive a c6 transmission but not sure on that. If it does start up, would you suggest a complete rebuild?
Also, what about the trans. Would you expect it to need to be rebuilt after sitting for so long. Just trying to get a good idea of what to expect $ wise before jumping into it. I'm liad up for the next few weeks finishing recovering from a surgery but will be anxious to start a project once the doc clears me.

Welcome to the site from Lady Lake FL. There are a lot of knowledgeable people but pictures are a must to get the best advice. :D

Welcome to RRR! You might wanna try to get a pic of that posted so we can see what the heck you're getting into.

If either needed rebuilding before, they haven't gotten any better sitting there.

Lube the cylinders and prime the oil pump good before you try to start the motor. The trans might have seals that are dried out so it might be leaky and slow going into gear when cold.

Hey.......Welcome to the RRR from Great State of Michigan

Nice to have ya here..... that 57 sounds a bit different.....we like different, we like pics and we like out of the box thinkin.....[P

Latest posts

Back