Help please!!! Houston... we gots a problem!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well I hope someone can help me with this problem as I'm supposed to leave @ noon tomorrow...

I went to change my oil the other day & the crankcase was full of gas. My gas tank's higher than the carb. When the car is idling gas starts coming out the tube (in red) & gas is dripping down into the front 2 barrels (in blue). Gas drips down in the front 2 even when the motor is off. This is a rebuilt Holley Q-jet replacement. My last carb did the same thing. Any ideas?!?!

carb.jpg

BoB

Last edited:
If the carbs leak with a constant head of gas, I'd try to lower the float level to try to increase the sealing pressure on the needle as a quick fix. I'd rule out porous castings as it happened on several carbs. If that does not fix the problem, check the needle and seat for sealing and be sure the gaskets in the carb are good. There's not many ways for gas to get from the carb to the intake

P.S. if the problem is only when it sets for a while, add a shutoff valve to the gas line. Works on my quad runner.

If the carbs leak with a constant head of gas, I'd try to lower the float level to try to increase the sealing pressure on the needle as a quick fix. I'd rule out porous castings as it happened on several carbs. If that does not fix the problem, check the needle and seat for sealing and be sure the gaskets in the carb are good. There's not many ways for gas to get from the carb to the intake

Teerex,
Thanks... this is driving me crazy & right here @ the last minute... perfect!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I'll lower the float level in the morning & hopefully that will solve the problem.

BoB

Last edited:
I was having a similar problem with my rock buggy before I went to EFI.
But it was on steep angles. After the fire, I put a length of rubber hose on that tube, about 5 inches high up into the air cleaner, and solved a bunch of my problems. Good luck!

After the fire, I put a length of rubber hose on that tube, about 5 inches high up into the air cleaner, and solved a bunch of my problems. Good luck!

AFTER THE FIRE!?!?! Oh hell... that's not good!!! I'll definitely try the rubber hose trick... that would be sweet!!!

Fuel pump

What type of fuel pump are you running electric or mech. If it's electric maybe the pressure is set too high. I had a problem like that and put a pressure regulator on the fuel line. Cured all my problems because it was adjustable. I'll see you in Austin.

It's probably a sticking float or dirty needle and seat. Take the bowl off and fix it right. The long tube trick won't work here, it just forces the extra fuel into the manifold without you seeing it go.
I hope you changed the oil before firing it up!?!

Latest posts

Back