HELP! What Carb should I be running?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkk

HELP! What Carb should I be running? BBC 454 mild motor. Maybe run a little more cam latter. 3000lb car 456 gear with PG trans. I want to run a Holley..maybe 750-850 with vac secondaries? any thoughts. I've never run a big block and never ran a mild engine either. :confused:

you can get a 750 vac. sec. but i never seen a 850 vac. i myself like the holleys but the edel. is a good carb. too, alot of people still like the q-jet. it just depend on what you want, street i use all the above but the edel. and q-jet are more street friendly, and i would lean more to the 800 to 850. agood rule of thumb is double the cid and go with a cfm to match, so a 454 would be 908 but i think that would be to much for the street, if i'm not mistaken the q-jet for big blocks is 850, and 750 for sm. block.

If your brand preference is Holley, something in the 750-850 range is just about right...........moreso 750 if you are going to street drive the car a lot. I am a fan of Edelbrocks on the street because they are basically bolt on and go. They are someone detuned to make them good for that application, more than Holleys, which tend to be more of a performance carb. I know from personal experience, Holleys do not tolerate the smallest amount of debris in the gas, even a small speck can jam the float needles and cause them to flood. Edelbrocks seem to not be so bothered by trash.

The old saying is, "Holleys will win at the race track, but an Edelbrock will get you home." :D

Don

The old saying is, "Holleys will win at the race track, but an Edelbrock will get you home." :D

What Don said. I prefer Edelbrock carbs on the street too. A 750 should be fine especially with gas this high!

ISore

I agree with Don.
Eddys are good, I've used a couple of 1406s myself.

Personally I just bought a brand new (not remaned) Holley 1850s, shipped to my door for $238. It is a 600cfm, but for my small block mopar I think thats the best bang for your buck.

Quadrajets can be a good street carb too and are pretty simply to adjust and rebuild. The nice thing are those small primaries. If you keep your foot out of the secondaries they will get decent milage. I've had a few boats with QJets on them and I always drew a line on the throttle control showing me where the secondaries would start to open. If I kept it below that line the economy was good, if I went even slightly over the line my milage went down the drain...........literally.:D

QJets sometimes get a bad rap, but thousands and thousands of GM cars came with them as did a ton of Mercruiser, Volvo, and OMC motors for boats. They aren't necessarily high performance, but are not bad either.

Don

Thanks for the replies. I also used Holley's interactive carb selector, cool little application. I could have used just about anything from 750 to 870. I went for the 750 3310s. It will fit my street driving situation best. You know what they say, You can lie to your friends...but you can't lie to yourself.

Latest posts

Back