Help with paint removal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDon

So I decided to sand on my 66 El Camino to look for the original paint. Found Artisian Turquoise under 3 layers of white paint and 3 layers of primer. I'd like to uncover as much of the original color as possible without taking it off. Is there an alternative to sanding through 6 layers? Will a chemical stripper take a layer at a time or go right through the turquoise? Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Don

Thanks guys. I took down an area with the DA to the last layer of primer and then blocked with 320, then 600 and was fairly successful. It's going to take awhile to do it this way, but it looks like it can be done.

Thanks guys. I took down an area with the DA to the last layer of primer and then blocked with 320, then 600 and was fairly successful. It's going to take awhile to do it this way, but it looks like it can be done.

Pictures?? does it look like you can save it?

Patina,
Don't know if it will be worth the effort or not. Lotta work just to see what's there. I was just checking it out while I was waiting for some parts to arrive. Did snap one pic with my phone. Kinda dark, sorry. BTW, I just noticed your location. Newfie eh? I'm originally from Halifax. Checked out the build you pulled out of the woods. Great job. But I heard there ain't no roads on "The Rock" to drive it on. Everyone gets around by dorey, eh! Haha!

Attachments

• 66 015.jpg
    66 015.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back