Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
So I have this 86 Ford pickup that came from the northern tip of Michigan. It has low miles but is pretty rusty. Put some new brake lines on it and new shocks. Well we were screwin around and jumpin in the bed when I heard a BANG!. Broke one of the leaf spring shackles. You know that no one around here can get me these?? The ford Garage can but they have to order them so Id have to buy them and pay shipping. They were a bit pricey for me.

Anybody know where I can get a set??

ROCK check it out good!!!

Just my humble opinion, if you broke one just jumping in the bed, I would replace them all or like previously said, "make" and then replace all of them. It might be a blessing in disquise, the frame might not be much better, I would get some cold ones, some friends, and some wire brushes, and some good lighting, eye protection, and get underneath, and go over that frame real good!! We dont have the rust in Florida like you do up north with the salt, but we do have flooding, and vehicles that have sat in salt or brackish water, and well lets just say, does the expression "death trap" ring a bell, check that bad boy out real good, be safe brother!!:eek:

The rear spring hanger on the ford pickups were a bad design. They hang with the spring on top. They have a habit of holding dirt between the hanger and lower part of the shackle. If you get used ones make sure there in good shape in that area and paint them with good paint before you install them.

Just a tip for all. Every time you wash the truck take the time to use a hose to wash out the dirt in that area.

I was thinking about welding some up. The old ones were really thin to begin with and you can see where both have rotted away. The frame is a little rough, but it looks like the frame on my toyota and I beat the snot outta that thing. The frame doenst have any rust through, its just rusty.

There is no place in Muskegon for these? Just for giggles did you try Muskegon Brake? They do a lot of snow plow stuff and 4x4 work so they may be able to help.

Only other place I know to try that is remotely close is Truck and Van Specialties in Hudsonville. They have a website you can glean their contact info from.

Or, check fastpartsnetwork.com (used to be fordpartsnetwork before Ford got stupid with the copy infringement stuff) I have ordered Ford parts from them in the past. Fair shipping and they beat the Ford garage in prices hands down.

Chris

Autozone & Advanced Auto told me that they can no longer get them. i just dont like Napa, but I may have to try there. I am going to check Muskegon Brake. I always forget about them.

Latest posts

Back