HELP!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyce51

Not really rat rod related but I need electric help!!! I am working on my 86 Ford F-150

Apparently I have a serious grounding issue with the truck. Now every time I turn the lights on...it's like opening a box of Cracker Jacks, you don't know what you're gonna get!!! Sometimes the lights work, sometimes some of the lights work but most time they are all mixed up...

example 1: Turn on hazards and the front and rear lights alternate back and forth....

example 2: Put truck in reverse all the lights on the rear of the truck come on.

example 3: turn on left turn signal front works rear is not.

4: turn on right turn signal and the front right works fine and both rear lights and the plate light all flash..

All the lights on the front of the truck work fine ALL the problems now are in the rear. Seems to me that a bad grounding problem will cause these problems am I correct???

my 2 cents worth.....
i'm no expert but i agree, you could very well have a ground issue-check EVERYTHING from the taillamps, the license plate lamp, backup lamps..and "backtrace" it looking very carefully at the wires making sure they aren't pinched between something, sometimes corrosion will cause a ground wire to break free from its screw connection.. once i saw a single contact bulb (1156) crammed in a hole for a double contact (1157) it did some goofy stuff like that too - also might try and figure out when this problem started-has there been anything done lately that might have "triggered" this issue..

hope that helps! let us know when & what ya figure out!

I have seen this before. Pull all the bulbs in question and replace them. I have seen the filomets ground themselves out due to corrosion in the sockets.
Make sure that you use the proper bulbs. Tail lights should be 1157. Reverse
lights should be 1156.

If that dont work, Start from the rear an d look over that area of the harness.

You may have a wire that has worn through the insulation and touching metal

Thanks guys I never thought to look real close at the bulbs I figured Hey they light up that means they work. LOL I will try that....

I found the problem!!! The grounding wire in the rear harness was broken and allowed power to backfeed through the system. Replaced the wire and it's good to go!

Latest posts

Back