Here she is my 38 chrysler would like some suggestions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano1938

Here she is great old 38 chrysler. My main problem is I am missing one fender ond the grill housing. I have the grill and sword looking center picea. I was wondering if it would look ok with out the fenders just a hood and side valance. Also want to put a different suspenion under the front, some thing I can put disk brakes on. Well here are some pics any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Deano1938

Attachments

• Just got her home.jpg
    Just got her home.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 58
  • front veiw with fender and hood.jpg
    front veiw with fender and hood.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 50
  • pass side both doors open.jpg
    pass side both doors open.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 31
  • pass side doors shut.jpg
    pass side doors shut.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 34
  • dash shot 2.jpg
    dash shot 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 23
In my opinion, its a little on the big side for fenderless to work visually.

I'd hit the swap meets and track down the missing pieces. Keeping fenders also alows you to do a front suspension swap and hide late model junkyard parts.

Ya I wouldnt go fenderless. I would put it together change the suspension, lower it, and drive the heck out of it. That is a great looking start you have there.

I agree with Flipper and Rock, but if you absoltely want it fenderless you could cut about 30 inches or so out of the middle and make a two door out of it. I'm thinking of doing a 66 comet wagon that way and doing a gasser with it. I don't believe it would be as hard as it sounds.

I think with a lot of work it could look pretty neat fenderless. I have a 40 Olds that is similar and here's what I was thinking I might do with it some day:

40Oldssketch.jpg

Thanks for the input so far. 62 chevy11 I think thats the look I m going for, but I am going ti leave the rear fenders on and run the running boards so thy curve into the body. Thanks again for allt he input so far, keep the suggestions coming. Also pics if you have a simaler car or project.

Thanks
Deano1938

That car is in horrible condition and I believe that paint is extremely toxic. I will send a recovery squad by later this month to pick the car up and dispose of it properly. Just wanting to save you from yourself. :D

But really, I love the fenderless version posted above by ChevyII. That's what I would do! Great car!

Beercan

Thanks rusty!!!! Here are a few more pics of my progress.

Attachments

• body lifted of frame 4 inches.jpg
    body lifted of frame 4 inches.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 28
  • sliding the frame out no rear wheels.jpg
    sliding the frame out no rear wheels.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 25
  • front frame shot.jpg
    front frame shot.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 19
  • front shot of frame after wash.jpg
    front shot of frame after wash.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 22
  • bare frame.jpg
    bare frame.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 19
If you want fenderless, i'd go for a gasser look. Leaf springs and straight axle up front, and big slicks on the rear. Keep the fenders if you're keeping the stock suspension.

Get er on the road! For now at least, take off the front fender(s) and the side panels. Leave the hood and rear fenders on, and get a grill on it. Keep the stock front suspension (don't know if there is a disk conversion for it) - it ain't a pretty straight axle, but the car isn't a cute little 2 door either. The running board idea sounds good. Drive the jalopy for a while and figure out how you want to finish it.

thanks sam, I think I am going to sub frame with a ranger twin I beam and go from there. The brakes were shot on the front along with all the bushings on the 38 so before any thing can happen the front needs to be done.

Thanks
deano1938

Hey Deano. Looks like you have a good start. I think the fenderless look can be pulled off with this car. Dare to be different. I have a 38 Plymouth that I just got on the road and I love the look of these old Mopars.
Here's a pic.
DSCF1806.jpg

Latest posts

Back