Here's another - "I know it's not a rat rod" story but....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

A buddy of mine gave me a car last week. :D No it's not a classic muscle car or a vintage hot rod or not even close! :mad: It's a very straight and rust free 89 Volvo 740 GL 4 door wagon with 312,000 miles on it. It runs good but not great so I'm gonna see what it'll take to get the tired old fuel injected 2.3 liter going up to speed. If the engine still turns out to be a total dog which I expect and more trouble than it's worth - this sucker is gonna get a small block V8 transplant ASAP! :D The car is worth doing something with and my 17 year old son is on board with the idea so we are seriously considering it. He needs a car, and Volvo's are built safe, and strong. I've always wanted a sleeper and who would ever expect a Volvo wagon to smoke the tires? You all might still be asking why? Well, I'll tell you - Just because we want to! :D

I didn't figure there was any need to post a picture of the car. We all know Swedish bricks aren't much to look at. I'll save the pictures for after the transplant!

Thunder

:confused:no pics!?!?!? what are you thinking! we all want to see that volvo wagon....... i'll bet it's beige isn't it--or brown....:D (wasn't it nicholas cage who had the beige volvo wagon on the movie "the rock")

anyway just funnin ya a little there t-1--but i seriously wanna see the transplant!!! :cool:

Actually it's white with a really ragged out red interior. :D Pretty sad but It took me two days just to clean out all the garbage. :mad: I filled three large trash bags with it all. It's been a kid taxi for the past three years and I don't think it had ever been cleaned out. The thing was nasty! :( Dried out old food under the seats, candy wrappers everywhere, spilled drinks, spilled mulch and potting soil all over the place etc.. You wouldn't believe how gross it was! :eek: No wonder my buddy gave it to me. It even had algae growing all over the left front fender and part of the hood. It looks 100% better now that I put about 16 hours into washing, waxing, vacuuming, and just cleaning it all up. It hardly looks like the same car.

Thunder

right on, something different is always cool.

here's one a buddy did, all 5-litre Ford driveline, 302 and a 5 speed manual.

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

right on, something different is always cool.

here's one a buddy did, all 5-litre Ford driveline, 302 and a 5 speed manual.

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

That's pretty much where I'm headed with it. A small block Ford but with a automatic. :D I have a friend who did that with his 86 coupe. The sb Ford power plant is about the best candidate for a swap. No body mods needed, just new mounts etc.. He say's it's pretty easy to do. Adapting the new shifter is the hardest thing but it can be done without too much hassle. I'm anxious to get going on it. Thanks for all pics guys. Some good ideas to keep in mind.

Thunder

Latest posts

Back