Hey it was free

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right on thanks. I took it for a drive around the block and had a little problem whenever I would take off real quick and shift quick it would make an awfull sound almost like gears grinding or maybe something to do with the clutch or flywheel.

Does anyone have an idea of what this problem is?

Clutch chatter or worn throw out bearing? Get under there, take the inspection pan off, and take a look. Check your clutch plate for extreme wear. Just where I'd start.

Clutch chatter or worn throw out bearing? Get under there, take the inspection pan off, and take a look. Check your clutch plate for extreme wear. Just where I'd start.

If it was either of the two things you mentioned then would it be a pain to change them or difficult for someone who never has?

Remember always check the obvious..... don't think the worst

If it was either of the two things you mentioned then would it be a pain to change them or difficult for someone who never has?

If it's grinding anywhere check for obvious signs of something rubbing.... drive shaft, floor pan, wheel housings inner fenders.... even motor mount might be bad causing the eng to torque up and hit the fan shroud...... look for the obvious.....

trans mount is easy, you should see where its bangin around, and shake things a little to see what, if anything is loose. clutch depends on what your comfortable with, for trans repair clutch work and throw out bearings the trans will have to come out, you comfy with that? also can be a internal trans problem. either way probably more important than the custom mods,(imo.)

Great job on saving that truck. After getting it in good mechanical i would slam it, prime it, put some wheels on it and drive it.

Price is sure right! Almost affordable. I would definitly say 283. Should be a pretty good runner with a little effort. The one thing I would do once it was running good is sure put a dual pot master cyl. on it. Just in case you have some kind of brake faliure, at least you'd have either front or back insted of none at all.

Michael

grinding sound

I took a guys truck around the block a few times because he had a light humming grinding scraping shutter but only upon acceleration. He thought it was his rear axle or tranny.
The truck was 1990 454 extended cab that sat so long the brakes rusted stuck. he told me he had to rebuild the brakes... then he admitted he only rebuilt one side and didn't get to the other since it unstuck itself. After he did the other side the noise stopped.
evidently the slight flexing of the drum the play in the bearings and the flex from power and the tight sticky fit of the rusty drum near the shoe was enough for the shoe to take little grabs of the drum but only while getting on the go pedal pretty hard.

Latest posts

Back