Hi from Cumbria (UK)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been lurking here a while soaking up the mass of knowldege, ideas and skills. Time to come out from the shadows!

I'm a Chartered Mechanical Engineer (read desk-job), which sadly doesn't involve any hands-on work, so I like to get my hands dirty whenever work and family life allow.

Biggest previous project was a Landrover rebuild, and I rebuilt a handfull of motocross bikes back in my teens. I was also a farmer in a previous life, so I can bodge repair just about anything with a big hammer and full seam welds - a weld can never be too strong on farm equipment!

No projects on the go at the moment except rebuilding a small utility trailer (4x3). Got an old 8x6 boat trailer that i'm going to do next, with some frame mods and building a bed and sides with recycled aluminium checker plate off a truck.

Would love to build a hotrod but current finances and famiy commitements mean I'm lingering at the design stage whilst i raise funds. Hoping to start the actual build during christmas holidays, maybe sooner. I need that time though to get up to speed with hotrod design, as I don't have much exposure to hotrod resources except for the internet. Hell, the first hotrod i ever saw in the UK was in my 20's!

That said, i am comfortable with the enginering and construction aspects. What i really want to pick up on is styling ideas, period-style features and build tips. And proportioning, getting the appropriate aspect ratios, rake and stance etc.

It would be easier if i was copying a particular style, but due to availability of parts I'm going down a different route: A scratch built rod based on mercedes running gear. Whats life without a challenge!

Current thinking:
- W210 E Class mercedes running gear (300HP V8, limited slip rear, independent suspension all round) - Not everyones cup of tea I know, but beam axles aren't really suitable on the UK roads and are hard to get past the regulations.
-30's style truck body, in terms of shape and proprtion etc, but not religiously sticking to the period details. I want a clean 30's shape and 'feel' but i need to do some things differently to meet UK regs, which are about as rigorous as they get apart from Germany's.
- Running with fenders and hood (to meet UK regs)
- Home made frame
- Home made grill and shell (toying with doing it in brass or copper if i can teach myself to TIG weld)
- Home made everything else I possibly can!

Thanks for reading and look forward to speaking with some of you in the future. I might ask lots of annoying questions about dimesions ;-(

Hey, welcome to the RRR.....

Nice to have you......actually the drive train makes perfect sense for where your at...been in your area before in Carlisle....beautiful area...hope you can find the goodies to put something together......:D

Hello,welcome to RRR.............. you have really good ideas, put them all together and you will have a nice ride...[cl

Welcome to RRR! (again) No worries about IFS if you keep the fenders. Are you planning to build your cab from scratch?

Welcome to the triple R
Since you'll have many annoying questions we'll let it pass, now, on the other hand if you only had one annoying question then we'd be annoyed as we would know you were just trying to annoy us :D

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. yes i do plan of building my own cab, it is the one part of the build that worries me more than the rest. Planning to keep the use of compound curves to a minimum, e.g. may just make the majority of the roof flat with just an inch or so of crown. But i'll just have to wait and see how well i can learn to shape metal once i get going. Thanks, Rob

Latest posts

Back