high beams?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjeep9

I am about to cut my 1928 head light buckets to accept a Hid conversion I have laying around the barn. I was wondering if anyone knew if you need high beams or not on a older vehicle(1951)? If They are needed I will have to look at a different option.

All states are different. In AZ, you have to have (at a minimum) what was on the car the year it was made. Now, with that said, an ass cop, will still be an ass. My model T lost a tail light, but still had one. A cop wrote me a repair order. The courts just laughed and said "your car only needs one". Ok, I was right BUT I still got to waste a day dealing with it.

I wouldn't bother putting something in that is not likely to pass anyway plus I think the color of the HID light is just wrong on early car - just my opinion.
I've converted lots of early headlights to modern halogen bulbs by simply soldering a couple copper or brass tabs on the backside of the reflectors to use the clip for the modern bulbs. While you're at it, drill a hole in the lower side of the reflector and plug in a pigtail socket to fit 1157 bulbs and you've got turn signals too.

cool idea with the blinkers yeah I'm sure I have a bunch of halogens that may actually have high and low beam laying around somewhere just need to find them ... So basically I would just take a old headlight and epoxy the fitting to the back of the dome inside the housing right, sounds easy enough

I have put HIDs in everything I have owned for the last 10 yrs, so now when I drive something with out them, its severly irritating.

That being said, I say install them! Ill be putting HIDs in my 1930s 9" head lights!! along with LED 59 tail lights![cl

I have put HIDs in everything I have owned for the last 10 yrs, so now when I drive something with out them, its severly [cl

I completely agree. Mine will be running HID also. The plus side with HID you don't really need high beams but if you have to have it per your sate laws the do make hi lo HID kits.

I really want to see how all the new LED headlights work.

I have seen the led headlights on some jeeps and they have great light output and they draw next to nothing power wise. They are pretty pricey tho.

Latest posts

Back