High School Prom & Friends

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
Way back in '69, I was working in a Mobil gas station after school. The prom was coming up and my coworkers asked me what car I was taking to the prom. I told them I was driving my '64 Bug. One guy had a '67 GYX and the other guy had a '67 Camaro. They said, "You can't take a Bug, take one of our cars!". I said, "Thanks, but no thanks. I don't like driving someone else's car". The guy that owned the Camaro, jumped into my Bug and took off, he left his Camaro behind with the keys in it.

What's funny is, I only knew this guys from work, they both drank and popped pills, but they were pretty good friends. My school mates on the other hand, were all college bound, didn't smoke or drink. I taught them how to drive a 4 speed in my car, how to ride a motorcycle on my Honda 50 and treated them to Fosters Freeze after school because I was the only one that was working. After their parents bought them new cars, I never saw them again.

I was just thinking this morning. My oldest friends that have stayed in touch are two guys that served prison time......

My Father taught Karate for awhile. One of his students was a Deputy Sheriff. He once told me, "You should become a cop! Even the crooks like you!". So I did..........:eek:

Good story. Hot rodder cops are a good thing too.
Just for fun, I saw a '67 Nova with a blower sticking out of the hood. He had 14X32's on back so I stopped him. I asked him if he knew why I stopped him. He said no. I pointed at the blower and said, "You know, the box that blower came in says "Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles in California!". He said, "Officer, this car didn't come with an air pump!". I said, "Really, let me check". So I pull out a smog manual and turn to '67 Chevy. I show the guy and tell him it says A.I.S.. I tell him he lied to me. He asked what the ticket was going to cost. I tell him $2500 :eek:. He turns white as a sheet. Then I tell him I was just kidding :D However, the blower sticking out is a big sign saying "Pull me over!".

Sometimes the best friends you will have come from the strangest places. One of my best buds from years ago was a super nice guy, but he rode with the Pagans MC Club. When he was with us he was one way and when he partied with them he was a little more "relaxed". :D But he was always a good friend .

He did have his moments though. One time we were sitting at a bar, having a drink, and I looked over to say something to him and he was on the floor beating the hell out of some guy. Not sure what the guy said or did, but something set him off.:eek: Aside from those sorts of things, he was a kitten most times. :D

Don

Just for fun, I saw a '67 Nova with a blower sticking out of the hood. He had 14X32's on back so I stopped him. I asked him if he knew why I stopped him. He said no. I pointed at the blower and said, "You know, the box that blower came in says "Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles in California!". He said, "Officer, this car didn't come with an air pump!". I said, "Really, let me check". So I pull out a smog manual and turn to '67 Chevy. I show the guy and tell him it says A.I.S.. I tell him he lied to me. He asked what the ticket was going to cost. I tell him $2500 :eek:. He turns white as a sheet. Then I tell him I was just kidding :D However, the blower sticking out is a big sign saying "Pull me over!".

Your tax dollars at work folks...

Gassersgarage I hope the police around me have a sense of humor. I am putting my old drag race truck on the street. It is completely legal but the big hood, roll cage and fuel cell might get a few looks. The 5" Flowmaster exhaust wont help either.

Ummmmm... that's why they started makin' blowers that fit under the hood! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

Haha, that reminded me of a ride we made in my 66 442 one night. Up and down the strip trying to find a race. Some preppy looking guy in a Camero pulls up, blower sticking out of the hood and side pipes. Light to light I am trying to get him to jump and he finally runs a red to get away from me. We see the car a couple months later in the car show and the blower is fake, sitting on a stock 307.

Sometimes the best friends you will have come from the strangest places. One of my best buds from years ago was a super nice guy, but he rode with the Pagans MC Club. When he was with us he was one way and when he partied with them he was a little more "relaxed". :D But he was always a good friend .

He did have his moments though. One time we were sitting at a bar, having a drink, and I looked over to say something to him and he was on the floor beating the hell out of some guy. Not sure what the guy said or did, but something set him off.:eek: Aside from those sorts of things, he was a kitten most times. :D

Don
One of my best friends, I met in my street racing days. I asked him what he did for a living. He said he was a thief. I said sure you are. What do you do for a living. He said, "I'm a thief!". I asked around and sure enough, he was a thief. Kinda like Robin Hood, he stole from the rich (Beverly Hills) and gave to himself. He drove a '64 El Camino with a BBC to out run the cops. He was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, unless you were rich. (LOL)

Latest posts

Back