Hobart 125

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebox

Are any of you using a Hobart handler 125 ? if so I have a few questions for you . Could you do a test for me. When I repeatedly squeeze and let go of the trigger with it set on 4 it blows the 20 amp breaker . if one of you guys have this welder could you try it and see if it happens to you
thanks
icebox

I have a Handler 140 on 20A service, no problem. Are you using the correct polarity?

attachment.php

Attachments

• hobart.jpg
    hobart.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 121
Ya I switched it over when I converted it to shield gas . I don't even have to start a arc and it will blow. If I just squeeze the trigger 4 or 5 times in a row it will blow the braker .
icebox

I'd replace the BREAKER to start with........
They do get old and weak and won't last forever!!
Loose connections (inside the breaker box) cause heat too & that's not good.

I have tried 9 new breakers and tightened every screw in the box . I even took it to by friends shop to see if it did it there. And it did. he just had his shop rewired.
icebox

yep sounds like there is a problem internal to the welder. 20A should make a pretty good pop, those boards are simple, if you open the welder you should see the problem with out issue. Does it run on any lower settings?

It will run on #1 and # 2 but when you turn it up to #3 after a few times pulling the trigger it will pop the breaker . On #4 it pops the breaker faster .I have had it open and I didn't see anything .
icebox

Yeah...sounds like a trip to the experts is in order....

wish I was more into the internals of these things.....sorry I can't help more...Good luck....

Thought I would let you guys know what the shop said. Hobart payed to have it checked out. They called and said it is within all parameters .What ever that means. They also told me it would be fine to put it on a 30 amp breaker. So it looks like I will have to get 35 feet of #10 wire and a 30 amp breaker .
icebox

Well she took a crap again. This time the gas won't stop and the wire has powder to it even when the trigger is not squeezed . I found out it is a relay in the circuit board . Looked on line and found a on line address for a company that had the part. (I plan on just replacing the relay ) He gave me 2 phone # . One in California an the other is New York. I tried both . the California company was at lunch. I then called the one in New York. I told the guy I needed only one. He said they had a 50.00 minimum order. He then said he would see if he could get it down the a 25.00 minimum order .I told him that it still would be an awful expense for one .He then said well maybe I can get one for you as a sample . He said he would have to check with the higher ups. I called him back just before 5:00 and he said they okayed it . So I will have a free replacement part on the way tomorrow .Then alls I have to do is pay the guy at the computer shop a few dollars the solder it in for me. I found a nice Millermattic on craigs list but the don't want to trade forany guns.

someone PMed me and wanted to know what part went bad. so here it it
dsc00793j_zpsf35148f1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] It is the big black misshapen square in the middle of the circuit board .
icebox

Well the welder is back welding. My cousin soldered it in for me and saved me 40 bucks. Brought the board home plugged everything back in and she works like new. Now I can get to work on the floor.

Latest posts

Back