home made radius rods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman

Hey all. I am getting started on my project and I want to build my own radius rods. Similar to a hair pin in shape; but I want to make it out of 3/8 plate and weld in my tubing to thread for the fittings.
I know the overall length (36") but I do not know how far apart are the two fittings in front for the clevis fittings.
My intention is to make a plywood buck to trace around with a plasma cutter.

The big picture is to elimainate the the perch and front transverse spring and run a coil over shock mounted off a beefed up radiator support to the home made radius rod "plates". Any dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

like this ? these are 3/8 plate , guy sells them on ebay for 39.00 a pair

Attachments

• c9_1.jpg
    c9_1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 44
LOL I bet you have!

I dont think there is a set size to make these. You can build them to fit your steering parts and your radious rods. I can go measure my speedway axle to get you the size that mine are if you want. Here are a few pics of us making our rods.
139-3998_IMG.jpg

139-4000_IMG.jpg

139-3999_IMG.jpg

140-4011_IMG.jpg

Most excellent! instead of the bending and welding I intend just to make a solid plate that is notched to accept the tube for the fittings. If it wouldn't be too much trouble I would really like the measurements off that hairpin.
Nice tractor grill in the background BTW...
Thanks alot!
Brett

Last edited:
Hitman, I've playing with the same idea, I think. I'd like to make trailing arms out of I beam or something similar. Any thoughts....grouchy

Still looking for the measurement from the bottom clevis eye to the top clevis eye. Then, the distance from this C/L to the rear heim eye. I can then move forward with building the front end.
I know its kinda a long shot but I thought I'd check if someone here could help me out.
Thanks!
Brett
South Bend,
Indiana

last-call i hate to be to critical of others work but i feel i have to tell you that the hair pin set up you made scares the hell out of me!

first the welds on the hairpins look poor . hairpins need high quality welds .... hair pins take alot of stress side to side as either front tire hits bumps and pot holes.it apears he plans to run with some type of bushing in the rear pivot point instead of a tie rod end , and from what i see in the pictures he has it mounted in single sheer. so each time he hits a bump or steps on the brakes the mounting bolt is going to bend and eventually break leaving an unsecured axle.

first the welds on the hairpins look poor . hairpins need high quality welds .... hair pins take alot of stress side to side as either front tire hits bumps and pot holes.it apears he plans to run with some type of bushing in the rear pivot point instead of a tie rod end , and from what i see in the pictures he has it mounted in single sheer. so each time he hits a bump or steps on the brakes the mounting bolt is going to bend and eventually break leaving an unsecured axle.

well i cannot really say much bout the welds i wasnt the welder

but the single shear mounting setup on hair pins has been used for many years and is still in use today on many "kit cars" and by many hot rod chassis builders......i do agree that double shear is stronger (i have done that on my truck)with poly bushings even thoe the hair pin kit came with a single shear setup

Latest posts

Back