Homemade Console Pictorial

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
NOTE: I started this little project before I learned my son was ill. I planned to complete the console before posting but have to decided to go ahead and start the thread and post updates as time allows. So be patient and check for updates. The finished piece should be pretty cool.

There may be 50 better, or more efficient ways of doing this, but this is how I get it done when I need a shape that is too complex to form from wood. Unlike our own Bonehead and a few others, I'm not skilled enough to hand form these items in metal. I've also used this same method for making fiberglass scoops and other miscellanous covers and items.

I decided to build my dad a console for his 1951 Mercury as part of the interior makeover. I doodled a crude rough sketch on paper for his approval. He gave me the "go ahead".

I started by gluing some foam together that was slightly larger than the overall planned dimensions.

I used an electric meat carving knife to form the basic shape. The electric knife makes for quick work here. Important safety tip - Sneak the knife out of the kitchen in order to avoid the wrath of the the female grouchasaurus.

Here's the basic shape after the carving. It's hand sanding from here on.

I then hand sanded the foam to form the final shape of the console. I just went free-form here based on the idea in my head.

I made a sheetmetal base at the bottom rear for strength and as a foundation for mounting later

That is shaping up really nice Gas. (pun intended :D)

That design will fit the Mercury well, and look SO much better than most of the huge hideous space-wasting homemade slab nightmare consoles you see haunting an otherwise cool custom. Nice work! What are the upholstery plans?

At this point, the foam was covered with fiberglass cloth and resin.

Once the fiberglass was cured, we cut a hole in the top where the arm rest/storage compartment will be located. all of the foam was removed from the inside, leaving just a hollow fiberglass shell. We also added some wood framework around the opening that will house the opening armrest/storage compartment.

Stay with me on this part for a minute. It's hard to picture at first glance.

I made this "upright" out of some spare tubing, rod, and sheetmetal that I ran through the roller, forming an airfoil type shape. I made this out of metal because it will support the front of the console and some wiring will run through it so I wanted to make sure I had room inside.

This............

Became this...........

Then this...........

An overall view at that point. Note that a built a "blank" from 1/4" metal and temporarily attached it to the deck. There will be a stainless insert in that area on the finished console and I wanted the insert to sit below the deck for a more finished look. I coated the steel blank with non-stick cooking spray, built around it with fiberglass, then removed it. I don't have photos to prove it yet, but it worked out nicely.

That design will fit the Mercury well, and look SO much better than most of the huge hideous space-wasting homemade slab nightmare consoles you see haunting an otherwise cool custom. Nice work! What are the upholstery plans?

You are thinking exactly what I was thinking. I was attemting to avoid those big ole honkin squared off, lack of imagination consoles that you see everywhere on an otherwise nice car.

I don't know if you saw my other threads on this , but we are working toward sort of a very early 60's space age/concept car look. See below thread for the start. MUCH to do to bring it out of the 80's but we'll get there.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20618&highlight=steering+wheel

Latest posts

Back