Homemade Console Pictorial

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I snuck in a little more work on the console today.

I removed the steel "blank" leaving a depressed area for the stainless insert that will eventually make a home there. I also started some body work. It's starting to take on it's final shape now.

I also did some work on the textured stainless insert that will match the dash panel I made a while back. It's not fully fitted but I laid it in place to give an idea of what it will look like later.

I hope to get more work completed soon. I have a few neat little details in mind that should look nice on the finished console. Thanks for looking.

I am really digging on it as well. That thing totally reminds me of an old deco-style bowling alley ball return. That's a good thing since I LOVE vintage bowling equipment. (One of my other non-car vices!) Keep up the good work! [ddev

Thanks fellas. This should be going quick but I'm only able to get in a little time here and there so it's moving along slooooooooooow.

We gave it a test fit in my dad's Merc. (As previously stated, the whole interior will be re-done). It fit well in the planned location.

I also started the bodywork on the tach cup and reworked a displaced Harley part to fashion a "spear" for the top of the tach cup to help with the "Jetsons" look, ha. Still fine tuning it but you get the idea.

I had put this console to the side for a while but I'm going to go ahead and finish it up. Don't worry too much about the rough bodywork. I'm finishing that off last.

Made a slot in the rear for insertion of the lower part of the hinge. I cut a piece of stainless piano hinge for the job.

Bent and welded a box and fashioned a wooden lid that will later be padded and covered with fine naugahyde.

I also finished shaping and trimming the stainless insert. Here's the parts all together. Next up..bodywork and paint.

I did some quick and dirty bodywork today and shot some black primer on it just so we could throw it in my dad's car for the Daytona Turkey Run. I also added a trim strip down the middle of the deck and my bro temporarily covered the lid. I'll finish the thing up when we get back from Daytona. There's a little trick that still needs to be installed also. More on that later[;) .

I'm not sure I can convince my wife that we need to take vacation down to Pompano Beach just to look at a console. :(

I can see the pictures just don't do it justice and I wanna see it in person.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back