homemade radiator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theracedude

I saw a photo of a car that had a homemade rad. Has anyone seen one or better yet done it with success. the one i saw was 2 large copper pipes top and bottom with copper uprights in the center. thanks, randy

You mean like this? I think this would only serve to cool the engine for a short period and on a limited basis. This system would only really work for racing applications where the car would only need to run for a relatively short period of time such as lakes runs or drag races. At least that's my take on it.

I have to agree, it wouldn't have enough surface area or heat disapating (sp?) qualitys to make it any good for street use. But I have been proven wrong before. :)

Don

I saw a homemade radiator in a sprint car in the early 90`s. They run alky so that helps, it was roughly 2 foot square with maybe 2 dozen 3/4 inch tubes running top to bottm . It was all aluminum.
I started to build one for my rat with a V-8 60 but didn`t. I should build one for the engine test run stand but that is a few projects down the road.

There was a guy on the HAMB about five years ago that was building a honeycomb radiator.........it looked great but was a lot of work to build. I couldn't find pictures of it but it was pretty much just four or five inch pieces of copper tubing stacked on top of each other in a radiator frame then soldered together..........get the picture?

i would like to make something crazy but would hate to sink a ton of time into it to find out it wont work. any more pics of some?

Is this what ya mean?

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back