Honest Opinions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryss

I have a question to ask all of you guys. Im doing a research for my college on the presence of females in this male dominated culture that we associate ourselves with. My question is how do you guys feel about the presence of females in Hot Rod/ Rat Rod culture and females who themselves have created a car club like most of us have.
thanks
Henry

I have no problem with any woman who can turn a wrench, weld or fabricate.

My youngest daughter can out wrench her husband any day of the week and twice on Sunday if needed. She can also weld.:D

LOL.......she built her own mini-stock car in which she races every Saturday night during the summer.:eek: She finished higher in points than her husband also at our local stadium last year and will be on the reality tv program call 'Awesome Racing' in which they will start filming this coming May at the North Wilkesboro Motor Speedway here in North Carolina.

So like I said I have no problem with a woman building cars and maintaining them.

I have a question to ask all of you guys. Im doing a research for my college on the presence of females in this male dominated culture that we associate ourselves with. My question is how do you guys feel about the presence of females in Hot Rod/ Rat Rod culture and females who themselves have created a car club like most of us have.

This is the craziest question I ever heard. Why would anyone care if a girl or woman was interested in the car scene, what kind of funky hobby would it be that excluded females? I'd love to see a female car club around these parts.

ISore

I'm involved in 2 car clubs and both have just as many women as men. They are welcomed and active participants. Yes, most of them are married to the guys in the club but they are as passionate about cars as the rest of us. Many of them have their own cars or several.

I do a little of everything: weld, rebuild engines with friends, take apart things and rebuild them, and enjoy summer night cruise ins.

Now....I wish my Boyfriend did!!! lol

Girl drivin'!!!

At the Round Up... a girl drove up & parked next to Tripper Jr in a low down 50's Chevy 2 door. I really dug it!!!

BoB

I couldn't run my dragster without my wife helping out .. she straps me in, helps me stage, tows me back, refuels the car and looks after the family at the track. Both my daughters are or have been involved in the junior dragster class and have done well. They are not mechanics, or even mechanically inclined, but they are there passing wrenches and doing everything they can to be involved. I say "Get the women involved .. be it race cars, hot rods, rat rods or whatever". Having my family involved has made the hobby that much more enjoyable for me.

There are a bunch of women on another of the boards I am on. They have their own club and some real cool cars. They have a slightly different outlook on the hobby but are no less car nuts.

The only thing that bugs me, like any minority in any type of group, is when others make a big fuss about them for the fact that they are a minority.

As for women, I understand why the posts from females get more hits than others (we are guys and we like women - duh), but don't give them a pass when it comes to work or doing 'manly' things. Women are just as capable when it comes to cars as any man, although they generally see cars from a slightly different perspective than men.

No problem on this front with women in the hobby. My wife has always been supportive & helpfull with all my cars. She's no mechanical genius but, she's there to help in any way she can & has no aversion to grease.

This is every bit as much a womans hobby as it is a young man's, old man's, kid, caucaison, latino, african american, native american, or asian american. Anybody & everybody has as much right to call this hobby their own and form their own clubs as any man.:cool:

I thought Rosie the Riveter already proved women's abilities in WWII!!??!:D

I love to see women involved in the hobby too. I have a friend who just happens to be a female that can run circles around most guys when it comes to wrenching on just about any type of vehicle. Cars, trucks, tractors, hot rods, you name it. She actually taught her son just about everything he knows and he's been a professional mechanic and body man for the past five years. She's probably going to be the one who wires my truck. Electrical work seems to be her strong point.

T1

Thanks for all the responses.
What I was looking into was how women are portrayed also in the magazines which are mainly as Pin-ups. That is why I started the thread with how everyone feels about women in general in the main scene.

NOW WAY!!! Woman have no purpose in the garage... keep em' in the kitchen.

GOTCHA! Just kidding... if it weren't for my wife I would not be building my rod right now. My father -in-law is the one teaching me everything so I have to thank my wife for getting me into this. Also if she wants to complain about me working on the truck I just say, "If it weren't for you I wouldn't be working on the truck." hehehe. The more the merrier. I just have to get onto her for wearing flip flops when working on the truck... can you say tetnus shot?

Latest posts

Back