Hooking up my fuel gauge questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcamp

Here's a pic of the fuel gauge I plan on using and my question is,,,,,,does on wire go to a positive connection and the other go to the sending unit? If it does how do I know which is which on the gauge cause I don't want to connect the thing and have 12 volts going to the gas tank and a possible explosion? I don't know, but do know I need some help on this one.

Attachments

• 2-5-13 014.jpg
    2-5-13 014.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 37
I believe it works like this...

Here's a pic of the fuel gauge I plan on using and my question is,,,,,,does on wire go to a positive connection and the other go to the sending unit? If it does how do I know which is which on the gauge cause I don't want to connect the thing and have 12 volts going to the gas tank and a possible explosion? I don't know, but do know I need some help on this one.

the gauge in the dash is fed power ......it sends the power thru the gauge and to the float unit....the float determines the amount of ground the gauge gets which determines the reading on the gauge....like 0 resistance from the float is empty and 90 ohms is full or vise versa....or with ford I think its like 60 to 280 or something like that.....I believe the gauge gets full voltage from the fuse panel.....nothing that I know of reduces that voltage unless there is another type I'm not aware of....if memory serves me correctly.....[S

heres a basic wiring set up....

sorry about the size of the pic

Attachments

• Gauge-SenderWiring.jpg
    Gauge-SenderWiring.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 43
It'll probably read backwards (full when the tank is empty) if the wires are reversed. ...or not at all.

fuel guage.

Just make sure the ohms for the guage match the sending unit. You can't just throw any guage in and expect it to read right,they have to match ohms wise.:cool:

Latest posts

Back