Hooray, My Kid Is Working On His Rod Again !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engine is a 30 over 455 Olds, with forged flattop pistons, G/a heads, a wicked Crane cam, and topped with a tripower setup off of a '66 Olds 442 W30. The carbs have been redone by Hot Rod Carburation, and we were really lucky to find this set. Olds only made 1200 sets of them in 1966, so some 442 guys would love to get their hands on these.

It's backed up by a turbo 350 that we had built by Jackson Racing, with a B&M holeshot 2800 stall convertor. Traction MIGHT be a problem. lol

Attachments

• dans engine.jpg
    dans engine.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 43
  • dans engine side shot.jpg
    dans engine side shot.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 38
  • dans engine top shot.jpg
    dans engine top shot.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 48
  • dans headers 2.jpg
    dans headers 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 46
  • dans radiator done 002.jpg
    dans radiator done 002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
For the frame and running gear, he went a little different route. He grew up building airbagged cars, like S10's, so that is what he did on this one. It is bagged front and rear, and can set down on the ground, or ride at about 4 inches or more. The front end is sort of traditional Superbell straight axle, but he used an airbag suspension made for model a frames, and modified it to work suicide style.

Attachments

• dans frame front view.jpg
    dans frame front view.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 49
  • dans frame rear shot.jpg
    dans frame rear shot.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 48
  • dans frame zee.jpg
    dans frame zee.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 40
  • dans frame electronics shot.jpg
    dans frame electronics shot.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 59
Oh, and he decided the chopped off sedan windshield didn't quite look right, so he grafted on '29 roadster posts, with a '32 center framework. Now the car is hard to tell from one that started out as a roadster in the first place.

If I can just get him to stop making changes in it, he might actually get it done for November. :D:D

Thanks for looking,

Don

Attachments

• RPUwindsield3019.jpg
    RPUwindsield3019.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 50
  • dans bomber seats 2.jpg
    dans bomber seats 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 53
  • dan sitting his RP.jpg
    dan sitting his RP.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 77
  • dan sitting in RP.jpg
    dan sitting in RP.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 64
Thanks guys.

Today he and I both spent the day at the shop (he's still there and it's 2 am) and we got a lot done. I got more glassing done on mine, and then I helped him bend up the driveshaft hoops and tunnel. He got the tunnel welded in, and now he can move on to the tunnel over the tranny. He's really making progress lately, and I bet he makes if for Turkey Run this year.

Here is what we got done today.

Don

Attachments

• dans rpu interior welded 001.jpg
    dans rpu interior welded 001.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 42
  • dans rpu interior welded 006.jpg
    dans rpu interior welded 006.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 33
  • dans driveshaft tunnel welded 004.jpg
    dans driveshaft tunnel welded 004.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 40
  • dans driveshaft tunnel welded 006.jpg
    dans driveshaft tunnel welded 006.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 43
  • dans driveshaft tunnel welded 009.jpg
    dans driveshaft tunnel welded 009.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 46
Thanks guys. No, it's migged. He still hasn't played with the tig we have enough to feel confident with it, and says it is a slower process. Once he finishes this car he is going to start using it more he says, and will probably tig a lot of the stuff on the next car he is going to do...........a tudor sedan.

I said the same thing about being a shame to cover up the tin work, and he said he is thinking about painting the entire interior body color and just putting snap in carpeting over a few areas, like where your legs go in front of the seats. Plus he could snap them out to clean them. Boats are starting to use more and more snap in carpeting, so it might be a good idea.

I'm really happy for him. Poor kid has two years of work in this thing, and was getting pretty discouraged. He thought he would never be done. Now he is finally smiling about it and agreeing that it is getting close to being a car. He and I have a pact going that both of our cars are going to Daytona in November. I want that so bad for him to be able to do that.

Don

He's making steady progress there, don. If he's half as determined as he sound, he'll have it done for the Turkey Run, if not before.

Great pics and progress don. That awesome that you can do that with your son. My father and I will finally build together whenever I get out of the army. Your son should deffinitely have that done by Daytone. This will be the first TRR I have missed in 12 years. Good luck to both of you.

Thanks guys. How much longer are you overseas S/R? You must be from The Florida area if you go to Turkey Run?

Hope you and your Pop have fun when you get to building your project. I know that I enjoy every minute I get to see my Kids when we get to the shop together.

Don

damn I just read 4 pages of this build and it just ends with nomore updates for a year... what ever happened with this thing? I am very interested because this is what I will be doing next year hopefully but as a 4 door sedan like it origonally was bagged front and rear.

hey thanks allot man! im bran new to the forum. I can't believe I didn't find it... I saw the thread title I just didn't click on it lol. this is a great forum. I can't wait to get started on my 29 four door sedan.

Then he shaped 18 gauge sheet metal to cover the framework.

He built a framework to support the bed, and he and I bent and bead rolled new panels to make a new bed for it.

What size and length are the tonneau sturts for the flip up bed? I have a similar flat bed and I have been tryin to figure that out I need some rally bad!!!

Latest posts

Back