How do I build the rest of the cab?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought this 30' Chrysler truck cab and I'm at a loss on how to fabricate the back of the cab. Any ideas that are affordable. Wood? Fiberglass? The original got trampled by horses, it was in a pasture. The metal is sound, just need the back. I just used the pics I had. Sorry.

Attachments

• 311973_281693461841169_100000015514052_1216979_558486058_n.jpg
    311973_281693461841169_100000015514052_1216979_558486058_n.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 317441_281692888507893_100000015514052_1216978_618212612_n.jpg
    317441_281692888507893_100000015514052_1216978_618212612_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 103
I'd be fabbing an internal framework for the cab first..

check out "scratch building a coupe" by rsfyj...has built the framework and you can get some ideas there on where to start......

Slip roll the back corners. and what ever you need for the top. use 3/4 square tube to frane it out, and the back is almost flat anyway.

Bonehead, I love your avatar.:) What gauge metal should I use? I think 18 but I want some strength because Im gonna use a rollcage (3 point) and if I wreck it (God forbid) I dont want it folding like a bag of chips. BTW, what is the wheel base on the truck, your avatar?

Welcome to RRR.

What kind of look are you hoping for? Here's a '29 and a '30 Chrysler in stock/restored form...

http://sbiii.com/chryslr6.html

Personally, I'd be tempted to create a "Dodgesler". '29 and '30 Dodge trucks have an extremely square back. Whack about 8'' out of it, and...

http___makeagifcom_media_3-13-2012_7DIsLQ.gif

I'm just thinking it would be easier to create the Dodge back than the Chrysler. Forget the small side window and make the top/roof out of fibreglass or whatever makes sense.

If it were me, I probably would be looking for some old fenders or hood that I could cut up and use for the curves. But, I also often take the hard road....

Doc......I like how you chopped the windows on the

factory in the background...cool effects!! Like the top chopped....looks more in porportion...[cl

I think it needs to be rolled. No slip roll? get a stick of 4", 6" or whatever radius you want PVC and roll your 18 gauge around it to create the look you want.

18 gauge should be fine as you will need to stiffen it up anyway.

Get some tube and make a frame and then tack the sheet metal to the frame.

Who needs a roof.

Bonehead, I love your avatar.:) What gauge metal should I use? I think 18 but I want some strength because Im gonna use a rollcage (3 point) and if I wreck it (God forbid) I dont want it folding like a bag of chips. BTW, what is the wheel base on the truck, your avatar?
Thanks.
Use a thickness you are comfortable welding and working with. Your roll bar should make the cab hold up well.
134 inches on my old truck and 140 on the one I am building now.

I think it needs to be rolled. No slip roll? get a stick of 4", 6" or whatever radius you want PVC and roll your 18 gauge around it to create the look you want.

18 gauge should be fine as you will need to stiffen it up anyway.

Get some tube and make a frame and then tack the sheet metal to the frame.

Who needs a roof.

Right on. I have used steel pipe, and wood posts, what ever it takes to bend the steel.

The back........ The top .......

OK, first the back ...... You should be able to locate some cab "B" pillars off an AD Pickup (47-54 Chevy or GMC) They are a dime a dozen. Nice curves, could even find the whole pillars new through LMC or someone like that. You could probably use the lower back panel as well if you want... Cheap, pre-made and new .... I like that. The top ..... Jeep CJ hood ( one center bulge for something different).... Jeep Cherokee roof piece ( 4 ribs and a good fit from side to side). Both of these have worked well for me in the past. Just a couple inexpensive, time saving ideas .....

Do I mount the cab and THEN build the floor, or vice-versa? Fabricating door jambs is scary given my current set of metal shaping skills. I like the square look of the back of the cab though. What about a removable center roof section?

I have zero relevant experience but want to keep this thread alive.

I would say to start with a few body mounts and build out a minimal substructure from there. Once you have a solid base, add the cowl and doors along with some bracing to keep it all aligned.

Then you can decide what the rest of the back and top will look like.

Latest posts

Back