how much does a complete front i beam cost???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93blazer4dr

im looking at getting a 1930 ford coupe front i beam thats complete and im wanting to find out the about price for this and what i need to be looking for so i no its not junk.

thanks for the help

What do you mean by complete? Wishbones, spindles, drums, backing plates?
How good of condition is it?

Even if it is complete you probably won't use the spindles and brakes. Look for wear on the boss where the spindle connects and it's not bent.

For just to axle and wishbones I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75.

maybe this is a dumb question but why not use the spindel and brakes??? wouldnt it have drum brakes?

What do you mean by complete? Wishbones, spindles, drums, backing plates? YES

What do you mean by complete? Wishbones, spindles, drums, backing plates?
How good of condition is it?

Even if it is complete you probably won't use the spindles and brakes. Look for wear on the boss where the spindle connects and it's not bent.

For just to axle and wishbones I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75.

also how much would you pay just for the drums and backing plates???

Picked up one in perfect shape for $25 for my brother in laws t-bucket. found one in rough shape in a salvage yard for $100. Keep looking around, and dont buy the first one you come across unless its the deal of the year.

maybe this is a dumb question but why not use the spindel and brakes??? wouldnt it have drum brakes?

The spindles and brakes are mechanical type, which renders them useless to anyone but a restorer. You will need to upgrade to hydraulic brakes. The only thing useable from a hot rod standpoint is the axle and bones. Check for bends and make sure the bosses aren't excessively worn.

It will have mechanical brakes. You need to convert to hydraulic and will need 37-48 spindles to do that. Model A drums and backing plates I would throw away or give them to a restorer.

Model A drums and backing plates I would throw away or give them to a restorer.

Ahh!! DON'T throw them away. New drums for A's are like $400 and backing plates & such are expensive too. The old one's aren't worth alot but people may be able to use them.

Sell them on the Fordbarn.com forum to a model A guy.

ok thanks for the help every1 im still learning all this stuff. i got the 1930 ibeam but nothing else but now im seeing its best to buy all the other parts from speedway and go that way with it. thanks alot for helping me out and teaching me at the same time.

Ahh!! DON'T throw them away. New drums for A's are like $400 and backing plates & such are expensive too. The old one's aren't worth alot but people may be able to use them.

Sell them on the Fordbarn.com forum to a model A guy.

New ones, Yes. But 80 year old drums aren't worth anything! At least the ones I find that have been outside for 60 years.

Depending on what you're building and the look you want you can't beat a Speedway disc brake kit. You will still need to get a pair of 37-48 spindles.

If you want to go with drum brakes for a "traditional look" and a light vehicle you will still need the 37-48 spindles and 39-49 backing plates with drums. You can buy the drums new or convert to Buick finned aluminum drums.

For the best drum brakes get some Lincoln Bendix backing plates and 2" drums. or the Buick drums

ok thanks for the help again and alot of good info and helpful people on this site. other hot rod/rat rod sites seem to bash you if you dont understand or no everything about hot rods.

New ones, Yes. But 80 year old drums aren't worth anything! At least the ones I find that have been outside for 60 years.

Depending on what you're building and the look you want you can't beat a Speedway disc brake kit. You will still need to get a pair of 37-48 spindles.

If you want to go with drum brakes for a "traditional look" and a light vehicle you will still need the 37-48 spindles and 39-49 backing plates with drums. You can buy the drums new or convert to Buick finned aluminum drums.

For the best drum brakes get some Lincoln Bendix backing plates and 2" drums. or the Buick drums

guessing these are the spindles everyone is talking about???
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Super-Bell-Spindles-for-1937-41-Ford,6617.html

Latest posts

Back