Hubcap install help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Kinda sounds like a dumb question if you just read the title :rolleyes:
But in all seriousness, I need some of your brains to help me think through this one here.
I found an old International hubcap in a scrap pile at the local Tool Salvage store (just a warehouse full of old junk) and stole it for $3.17!!!

I've been wanting to install something like this on my rat since I started it!

Problem is the wheels I'm using don't have any provisions for any type of hubcap what so ever [S
The wheels are the spare off 2008 dodge ram 1500's with factory 20" rims.

As you can see by the photos, there's not much to work with.
I'm thinking maybe I can utilize the grease cap on the hub?!

What do you guys think?
Id like to avoid welding on the cap if at all possible. I'm not opposed to drilling a few holes for some sort of hardware though.

7da7e85e.jpg

58b9d692.jpg

4e8d3ade.jpg

f75da0c0.jpg

3ee40df4.jpg

b6df4c37.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't use the grease cap. it will just fall off. The problem is the balance will likely be thrown off with whatever you do. But, if you just had to have it...... bolt a plate into the bolt pattern of the wheel, with the clips for the hub cap attached to the plate.

I wouldn't use the grease cap. it will just fall off. The problem is the balance will likely be thrown off with whatever you do. But, if you just had to have it...... bolt a plate into the bolt pattern of the wheel, with the clips for the hub cap attached to the plate.

I like that idea. I could cut a sheet metal template with 5 or 6 tabs bent to catch the edge of the inside of the cap. It'll take some time to center the cap good enough not to look like a hypnotizing apparatus :)

How much will be too much when it comes to throwing off ballance? It can't hurt TOO bad could it?

You have probably seen the old wheels with little tabs made into them, for hub caps?

As long as they are symetrical,(perfectly) they will make no difference. But you know how little wheel weights are to balance tires with.

You have probably seen the old wheels with little tabs made into them, for hub caps?

As long as they are symetrical,(perfectly) they will make no difference. But you know how little wheel weights are to balance tires with.

I'm trying to think of old wheels I've seen. Mind you, I'm not THAT old :rolleyes:
All i can think of are the caps with tons of tiny tabs around the perimeter, but the wheels had a lip for those to catch on to.

I'm glad you asked this, because I have been contemplating painting my aluminum weld wheels, and attaching older hub caps, I think the tabs riveted to the wheel would work well.

Here is what factory look like, may use it to make bolt on tabs off the lugs.
80's Buicks used to use a center bolt bracket.
GM%20Wire%20cap%20holders.JPG

attachment.php

picture027small.jpg

1594.jpg

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=716

I like this! That's what I was thinking in my head but having a company that makes them is going to make this MUCH easier! Thanks for the link!

I'm glad you asked this, because I have been contemplating painting my aluminum weld wheels, and attaching older hub caps, I think the tabs riveted to the wheel would work well.

I really think this is the best way. I think the hardest part is mounting them exactly centered to keep the cap centered.

That's what I love about RRR, everyone is willing to help!

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back