Hydraulic lever shock question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

I've got a set of Delco hydraulic lever shocks I want to use on the front end of my Model A project. Does anyone know if the arms can be adjusted internally to change the angle of the arms in relation to the shock body? Right now it seems I would have to mount it at some angle which is no big deal but it would take up just that much more space at an angle than if I were to mount the body at 0 degrees (horizontally) or 90 degrees (vertical).

Check 'The Shock Absorber Handbook'.. It has quite a few exploded diagrams of old lever shocks.. There quite a few different Delco Designs, but most seem to have splined shafts where the lever arm attaches. Some with lock bolts, others look to just press off/on.

I like lever shocks--use the as often as I can.

PA41

So what is the proper mounting orientation of the shock body in relation to the frame? Should the lever arm be pointing upward and pulled down to its midpoint or pointing down and pulled up to its midpoint.

Correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that the shock absorber controls the downward motion and that the hydraulic pressure wants the arm in an up position. Is this true? I may have had some backwards thinking going on in my head.

There was recently an article in one of the car mags about rebuilding them... can't remember which one though!?

BoB

British cars use em

All the old Brits I worked on had lever action Armstrong shocks. The lever pointed up, and pushed down. If you decide to go with a rebuild, try to find some stainless steel cylinder liners. They last forever, and from my experience, the main problem is water collecting in the fluid, and causing rust.

Latest posts

Back